Keg lid valve corrosion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, in a day or two when i have thought things hrough and calmed down i will be emailing them.

They assured me they are pure brass.... :shock:

I wish i had stuck to the all plastic lid i had, no trouble with that.

I cant tell anyone else not to use them, just make you all aware of my problems.

ive just checked all 4 of mine as they are all youngs and other than being a bit dull there is no signs or any rust or anything nasty in there
i belive that colchester home brew do the valves that you can put in to your lid ,i saw some there on thursday
good luck bud

Hi darren, i use colchester homebrew quite often, i'll pop in and see if theres any other option.
It could be something i'm doing..i cant see what, all i do is clean them, fill the keg, a little vaseline round the ring, tighten, charge with co2. then leave it alone.

I just dont get it. :hmm:

Hi Cptn

Just to add a bit of clarity here, these valves are not YOUNGS valves, they are standard valves that are fitted to all the basic and king keg barrels, regardless of who the wholesaler/supplier is that puts their own label on the barrel.

One manufacturer produces the barrels, Youngs, Ritchies and Hamb bards all sell them. All three offer the basic barrels with plain vent caps and all three offer the facility to buy them with S30 valves or pin valves. All the valves are supplied from the same manufacturer as far as I am aware.

There is not, inherently, a manufacturing problem, however the valves are fairly prone to this type of discolouration if left in sterilising solution for any extended period. Normal Sanitising doesn't harm them in any way, but if you put the sterilising solution that you use to clean your fermenter straight into the barrel and leave it to sit there (with the lid on) for the 4-6 days your beer is fermenting, by the time you rinse it out ready to accept the beer, the valve will have been sitting in a closed, slightly corrosive, environment for several days.

I know, as several of mine have done the same thing !!!! (But its a little easier for me to replace them as I just take them off the shelves from the box that Darren saw them in :D )

Also, as luck would have it, the man you spoke to at Youngs actually IS called John Smith - honest :D

If you are visiting soon, I've got Fixby Gold (about to go off), Muntons Gold Highland Heavy (about to go home) and Nelsons Revenge currently on as taster, with Santas Winter Warmer, Colne Valley Bitter and either Black Moor Stout or Muntons Imperial Stout about to go on as replacements. :cheers:

Andy

Hi Andy.

I was aware the valves were not actually made by youngs, it was however on a keg with their name on it, and (i'm affraid to say not bought from you) :oops: :oops: :oops:
I have recovered from the rusty valve problem now, the latest one (replacement from youngs had a wipe, and hasnt rusted again) anyway...

I havnt been in lately I am working 7 days til the end of harvest, with that and the baby (13weeks) i struggle to find time but have on a few occassions sent our gas driver in to pick up a few bits when he's dropping gas to the WRVS down the road from you.

When harvest is over i shall be back!!

Some tasters may be called for, my nelsons revenge went bad :cry:

Keep up the faultless service!!

jonathan (cptncrackoff) :drink:

Latest posts

Back