just what is the average amount of hops used to dry hop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Without getting answers like its totally your choice how hoppy you like it I am just looking for the average amount of hops would you say would be added to dry hop 40 pint batches?
I do like my beers a bit hoppy and tangy. I only make extract beer and only dry hop.

I think I’ve read beyond 3-4g per litre is ineffective???

ATM I’m working to 3G/l but will be testing more and method in the future.

Currently doing hoptea

Whatever the recipe tells you to do. Generally speaking, recipes are pretty well calibrated. My last 19L batch called for 147g of dry hops.

It does depend on the style of ale and my suggestions are just that - mine. Others will give different answers.

Anyway, for me things like stouts, bitters, pilsners I wouldn’t dry hop, most other ales might be up to 50g, IPAs move up to 100g, NEIPAs up to 200g.

I was getting quite disappointed with the hoppiness of my brews, even with 250g of dry hops until I changed my technique recently. This is based upon a few suggestions I've picked-up from other users here.

I now ferment short at 20 litres (this also avoids foam-overs)
100g of Dry hops in a nylon straining bag (weighted down with a spoon) for the last few days as usual.
I then squeeze every last drop out of the bag into the FV by hand
I then pour those used hops into a cafetiere (aka a french press)
Add boiling water straight from the kettle and stir for a few minutes to make a hop tea.
Using the same hops, I repeat the hop tea process a few times until I've collected 4 litres of green liquor.
Finally, pour the hop tea into the FV to make-up to 24 litres.
After bottling, this gives me 22 litres of very hoppy beer.

Next time you throw your used hops into the bin, just take the time to enjoy those beautiful wasted aromas, its really surprising how much more flavour they have to give, even after being rinsed in boiling water a few times.

One disadvantage of this method is that it prevents the accurate measurement of specific gravities, but I prefer to worry about taste than decimal points of alcohol content.

I was getting quite disappointed with the hoppiness of my brews, even with 250g of dry hops until I changed my technique recently. This is based upon a few suggestions I've picked-up from other users here.

100g of Dry hops in a nylon straining bag (weighted down with a spoon) for the last few days as usual.
Add boiling water straight from the kettle and stir for a few minutes to make a hop tea.
Using the same hops, I repeat the hop tea process a few times until I've collected 4 litres of green liquor.

Next time you throw your used hops into the bin, just take the time to enjoy those beautiful wasted aromas, its really surprising how much more flavour they have to give, even after being rinsed in boiling water a few times.

One disadvantage of this method is that it prevents the accurate measurement of specific gravities, but I prefer to worry about taste than decimal points of alcohol content.
sounds reasonable but doesn’t this give recipe a lot more bitterness IBU,S or do you account for that at the beginning ?

There's so many variables as already mentioned, style, personal taste, hop variety, technique. The best advice I've seen from a professional brewer, is to link it to your OG. 1g/L for every 10 gravity points. So, an OG of 1.030-39 use 3g/L, 1.040-49 use 4g/L and so on. I found this works as a basis to get a reasonable aroma appropriate to most styles. Experiment with that, then adjust to taste. Once you go above 8g/L, the evidence is that the returns diminish, and starts adding grassy, green aromas.

sounds reasonable but doesn’t this give recipe a lot more bitterness IBU,S or do you account for that at the beginning

Absolutely no additional bitterness, Im guessing the hops aren't boiled long enough to isomerise the alpha acids.

I'm not fond of overly bitter beers myself, so I use this technique mainly for Hoppy IPA styled extract brews.

A method for you to try @dan125

about 8g-10g per litre is the sweetspot, this was in my book the new IPA based on studies done to measure utilisation. If you really want massive hop aroma and flavour its better to do 2 small dry hops than one large one apparently

I think Hoddy starts at 1kg...
Have you been reading my brew sheets again?
It is well known that I am partial to heavy lily hopped beer. But dry hopping, if at all is so dependant on beer style it’s near impossible to put a number on it. However methods and procedures for getting the best out of your hops, and not the stuff don’t want is again a tricky one to get right especially when you start going north of 15g/L.

I'm currently ranging from 1.5g/L in the British golden ale that's in the FV, up to 14g/L in the NEIPA I'm brewing this weekend, but I'd say 8g/L is a good starting point if you like a decently hoppy beer. You could adjust up or down from there depending on your tastes.
🍻

I've had the same one in the kegerator for a week, should hopefully be ready to try soon acheers.
I started drinking mine as soon as it was at serving temperature after carbonation :laugh8:. Well they do say NEIPA is best drunk young!
IMG_20210421_184442817_HDR.jpg

Back