I've started cider ~ Now with Press ~ and Pulper ~

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phoenix68 said:
I found the big lump of wood and a bucket realy started to hert my ears after about 2 hours, her in doors moaning became unbearable and i had to do it my self.

Thanks Graham.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wez said:
Thats the **** MD :thumb:

I might be dropping off a sack of apples from my parents trees :D
Anytime wez you'll have some bottles in return :thumb:
Plum's haven't done so well this year not going to get a great deal spare sorry.

Pulp master :thumb: hmmm I see some ss strip becoming very sharp via the grinder and some rod welded to it.
More to follow in the morning :D

No worries on the plums mate :thumb: How are the spuds, we dug the first of the Cara's today and got 3lb 10oz off one plant :shock: Ive got 45 of them to dig up :shock:

Nice work Muddy :thumb:

I actually made something very similar (but about two-thirds that size) in school Wood & Metalwork classes about .... OMG .... 35 years rather a long time ago. Although I still have the frame and screwed bar, I've no idea what happened to the barrel section.

I made a new one just a couple of nights ago but went for the 3x2 wooden frame + carriage bolts + bottle jack option.

What about pulping the apples Moley how do you achive this as far as im concerned thats the hardest bit almost the holy grail of cider making.

Cheers Graham.

Ok I was bored........ FINISHED! Pulp master 10000!

GEDC00371.jpg

GEDC00381.jpg

GEDC00391.jpg

All ready for work tomorrow :thumb:

phoenix68 said:
What about pulping the apples Moley how do you achive this as far as im concerned thats the hardest bit almost the holy grail of cider making.
No idea, I'm making apple wine.
Mine is staying in a bucket for a week, by which time it should all be fairly squishy.

I hope you've carried out a risk assessment, that looks like you could seriously damage something hopefully apples.

Best of luck Graham

muddydisco said:
Ok I was bored........ FINISHED! Pulp master 10000!

GEDC00371.jpg

GEDC00381.jpg

GEDC00391.jpg

All ready for work tomorrow :thumb:

Do you ever stand still? :rofl: :rofl:

Good Luck with the pressing

I hope you don't mind MD, but as I mentioned it above I thought I'd add my solution to this thread, rather than starting my own.

I was only using with about 20 lbs of coarsely chopped apples this time around to make wine, so this worked for me.

Apples were sieved as I'd already added a gallon of water at the start, then I used a square cake tin as a former for my ‘cheeses’

PB10090501.jpg

Two cheeses were slighly squashed to make room for a third. The juice tray was one of Mrs. Mole's baking trays which sort of accidentally had a steel rod dropped on one corner, accidentally followed by a big hammer, so it now has a kind of a spout. When she noticed what I was using I did wonder if a big hammer might accidentally drop on my head, but it was only a cheap baking tray and I think I got away with it.

PB10090502.jpg

‘Pusher’ was a bottle jack and a piece of inch thick nylon I happened to have lying around, so cake tin, baking tray and nylon sheet were soaked in sterilising solution before use, cheese cloths were boiled.

The whole thing needs raising so I can get a bigger jug underneath, but it worked.

PB10090503.jpg

Latest posts

Back