I've started cider ~ Now with Press ~ and Pulper ~

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a quick dumb question, I have been given 6 huge bags of apples, I have no press and no time to make one.
Is there a way of just pulping the apples , fermenting and then straining and clearing?

Shoot me down please :D

I've heard people talk about shredding apples and then pressing, not sure if you can just pulp tho.

u can fement on the pulp but the result will be not a very nice cider i would get a press if u can or a juicer :thumb:

hey md..we have just built our press, a car jack and a collecting tray within a frame...made from scrap stuff... :party:
we have been offered lots of free fruits....and have our eyes on other trees too...

were lookin at pressing;

apples this month
plums next month
pears the month after...

any one got any recipes they have used..... :wha:

id like a still cider....from the apples...

and what ever with the plums and pears....

will post a pic soon...

Well had to go and make one so here it is, a bit messy but was done this morning out of things in the garage.
I might not be perfect at spelling and grammer but my hands work fine

GEDC0036.jpg

GEDC0037.jpg

GEDC0038.jpg

GEDC0039.jpg

So tomorrow after all the gules have dried I shall be pressing the first of 30 pounds of apples I have :thumb:

muddydisco said:
I might not be perfect at spelling and grammer but my hands work fine

Please, don't take my being a grammar nazi to heart. I just find it amusing what errant apostrophes may imply.

Which bit of the press is the bit that actually presses down onto the fruit?

Second picture down, the round bit with a bolt sticking up. It's sitting on the juice catcher :thumb:

You never do things by half MD :clap: :clap: :clap: . So will these be added to your catalogue of brewing paraphernalia and offered for sale? :hmm: :hmm:

:cheers:

AG

Thats a big NO! I only have 3 legs now for my scaffolding tower, must remember to look out for 1 more ready if I need it again! There's more ar$ing around bending the ss strips than I can care for. And I hate mitreing corners hence alot of glue!
If someones want to swap for a commercial made 15ltr and scratter I won't say no :lol:

That looks brilliant,some really nice work.What type of wood did you use.I will be interested to here how much juice you get.
I had more apples than you can shake a stick at last year about 3/4 of a bath full and i only managed to get 10 gallons of juice that took nearly two days of chopping pulping with a large stick in a bucket then pressing with a home made press I was knacked at the end.
I don't think pulped the apples up enough any idea how you are going to pulp yours, I thought about making a mill to do it with cylindrical piece of wood on a spindle with stainless steel screws poking out the side set in a funnelled hopper driven by an electric motor.Similar to ones posted on the Internet.
I bought a second hand waist disposal unit on E Bay but I wouldn't fancy drinking anything that had been through that,i though it would have been stainless steel but its all rusty inside so that counts that out.
A garden waist chipper would be good but too expensive.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts and how you get on,like I say really Impressed with your press good skills.

Cheers Graham.

muddydisco said:
And I hate mitreing corners hence alot of glue!

Are we talking about the four corners in the collection tray?

I am a picture framer peace of p*&$ especially if you have one of these clicky Double headed saw cuts perfect every time. You can be excused as you are trying to cut oak which is probably the wood that framers fear most. If you ever need any cutting give me a shout always oblige.

Cheers

AG

All I know it is a hardwood, don't think it's oak, as have played with that before more like beech but the colour is darker than I thought, I know it's hard! I just hate mitreing anything full stop!
My thoughts on pulping are that the apples are chopped and in the freezer will get them out tomorrow and thaw them, already mushy to start with hopefully, then I'm going to cheat and put them in the smoothie maker, for a quick blitz then press them.

Thats the **** MD :thumb:

I might be dropping off a sack of apples from my parents trees :D

I used a chip making machine to cut them up freezing is good i hear but you can only get so many apples in a freezer.
Best of luck let us know how you get on.

Thanks Graham

muddydisco said:
All I know it is a hardwood, don't think it's oak, as have played with that before more like beech but the colour is darker than I thought, I know it's hard! I just hate mitreing anything full stop!

Still looks like oak probably american though. Still very impressed. Was thinking of getting my neighbours in the workshop next door to me to make me an oak frame then use a hydraulic jack and cheeses with groved boards. But I haven't any apples so not much point, but perhaps next year.

HAve you thought of a pulp master for your pulping Clicky or making one and just attach to a drill? Failing that a big lump of wood and a bucket.

Good Luck

:cheers:

AG

I found the big lump of wood and a bucket realy started to hert my ears after about 2 hours, her in doors moaning became unbearable and i had to do it my self.

Thanks Graham.

Latest posts

Back