I've got a big head!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkAler

Reaction score
Put my first kit into a king keg. Loveley drink but the head when I pour is massive.

I've tried only turning the tap a tiny bit and having the glass virtually horizontal but no joy.

Where am I going wrong?

Just about to rack off my first ag brew and dont want to spoil it. :wha:

You may have over primed, but it will calm down as it starts to empty, but in the meantime, try rinsing your beer glass in water first, shake off the excess then pour, it normally reduces the frothing considerably. :thumb:

Entirely normal for a budget barrel. Massively foaming at first then you have to use gas later on......

I have seen someone claim that fitting a Wilkos turkey baster to the tap works a treat... cant vouch for this myself but there it is....

i find if i only give a quick squirt of gas at the same time as pouring (after the initial foaming / priming ferment head )it is ok just to blast the gas in to get beer out ends up with many half pinters

I mustb admitt I know nothing about "King Kegs" as I use a very old "Beer Sphere".
Once pressurised to 5psi it will serve 2-3 pints before needing a re-gas.
The emptier it gets, the less re-gassing it needs!

Rather that just roughly screwing the S30 cylinder into the valve so that you get a massive squirt of gas, it is possible to gently screw the cylinder in until it just cracks the seal and allows gas in gradually . . . then you can open the tap and pour a pint . . . or two or three, before slackening off the cylinder to stop the flow of gas. . . . Ease and Squeeze chaps . . . . Ease and Squeeze

The drum taps as supplied are **** at dispensing beer though . . . You have to open then fully to stop the foaming . . . then you get a beer shower . . . Hamstead Homebrew do a different tap that while near 15 quid is expensive does a much better job . . . or they can be replaced by Dalex Taps (From Harmony Hut on eBay)

The cut down turkey baster sound an excellent low cost solution though

I think I know where I went wrong now. :D

"Ease and squeeze" didn't enter my head, so I attached the gas bottle, turned it as far as it would go for about 30secs.

Just finished off 30 odd pints and didnt have to re-gas once.

probably lucky i didnt blow the tap off lol :rofl:

evanvine said:
how does this "Turkey Baster" thing work?
I don't know . . . but basically you cut the turkey baster (Its plastic) so that it reaches to the bottom of a glass when attached to the spout of the KK . . . it is the perfect size to fit over the short spout on the drum tap, (Push fit). . .. then use tap as normal . . . I think . . . . The people that have suggested this have posted the proper method, a search for turkey Baster throws up this post

Back