Its Here + pics of a slighly cocked up conversion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I would have done would have been to Cut the Tank connector down and not used the flange nut

DSCF1081.jpg

If you cut the tank connector down so that the length of the thread = the amount you can crew into the right angle fitting + the thickness of the washer. You do do it up tight to seal, and it won't protrude.

I'm doing a similar conversion on an 80L soon (possibly tomorrow) Using a Stainless Through Deck Fitting which will have the same 'issue' . . . I'll post pics. Oddly enough it's a cocked up conversion as well as I already have a hole in the side wall for a ball valve, but I put it too low and forgot to take the height of the False Bottom into account
eusa_doh.gif
. I need to get a handy chap to make me a sealing plate for it :pray:

I see what your saying Tony :thumb:

I'd have to grind down the tank connector so when I tighten up the female elbow it seals the tank connector rubber washer to the bottom of the tun.

If you get chance please post the pics of your conversion

Sean_Mc said:
I'd have to grind down the tank connector
Nah . . . Take a hacksaw to it . . .Or the Angle Grinder with a slitting disc :twisted:

Tun = £108
Ball valve= £11.99
Tank connector= £2.99
Female elbow= £4.39

Total= £127.37p

I had the foam and 15mm pipe and then there's the tools needed, also an hours time.

I also need a false bottom, which will be for the time being be a Tesco SS tray £4.99 with a few hundred holes drilled in it :hmm:

You have been busy, how long did you take to pluck up courage to take the angle grinder to the new purchase. :lol:
I like the idea of the drainage gash in the tank connector :D

First chance I had since it was delivered I went into attack mode.....If I didn't I knew I would of let it sit in the shed for months, so it was maybe fortune favours the brave thinking ;)

I don't work with my hands anymore...used to be a plasterer.....but my shoulders when finished were cramped up, I'm not on a big wage so trucking this up would of been a blow, only reason I have it is with Real Madrid winning 8-0 the other week :whistle:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Alter your outlet like mine.
tundrain.jpg

BB

This was plan A John, but a needed tub of flux was over £8 and the female elbow I thought met the bill.

I've sorted the foam on the undercarriage now and just need to sort the FB, mesh I have is useless so running with the SS tray for now

All done Sean :party: , now get brewing :grin:
You'll soon forget about the bottom, even if you're like me and would keep thinking about getting round to fixing it because it isn't 'quite right' :whistle: :lol:

commsbiff said:
Nice one Sean - I bet you can't wait to put it to good use!
Sean_Mc said:
I've sorted the foam on the undercarriage now
Shouldn't this be in the shaving thread? :lol:

:lol:

Maiden brew tomorrow, just spent the last couple of hours and god knows how many drill bits sorting a FB.....Not a very good thing to do when your nursing a bad hangover :sick:

Just for consolation on a job well done - i was searching for nordic stock pots earlier and came across some froggy brew forum the guys on there just whacked two holes in his nordic using a hole cutter straight through the bottom of it then stuck in an elbow joint to 2 ball valves and then ended up putting the whole thing on stilts so he could use it!!! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back