Is this a good method for pulping apples?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am reliably informed by a cider making buddy that that is a god bit of kit. However you have to slice/ chop the apples into reasonable sized bits before the pulpmaster. Its laborious but does the job. Its designed not to cut the pips. If the pips are cut apparently it makes the juice overly bitter. I can only say his cider is gert lush so he must know what he is on about.

Brilliant....I am in the process of making some cider...and I used a smoothie maker to pulp them so Im sure it will be a improvement..thanks for that!!

Any Ideas on a decent press and the size (litres) I could buy.?..I'd hope to make in batches of about up to 10 pints...

Ive been looking on ebay and have found various sizes.

Many thanks

I think from the description that, that press is only suitable for soft fruits and wouldn't cope too well with pulped apples :(
But if that's the route you want to take it's cheaper here CLICK ME (free postage ;) )and there's a phone number so you can speak to someone who will tell you if it's suitable or not :party:
Let us know how you get on :cheers:

Stoney said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5litre-Fruit-wine-juice-cheese-herb-home-brew-press_W0QQitemZ220420405996QQcmdZViewItemQQptZHome_Brew?hash=item3352147aec&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

this is the press I was looking at...although I was sure if it was big enougth...there is a 5.5ltr but its twice the price!!!!

appreciate comments

I have used a press like that, but you really need to reduce the apples to pulp first, the pulpmaster, despite it's name does not quite manage that. You can get good results with the pulpmaster, but it does take quite a bit of time.

I use something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-MEAT-GR ... 7C294%3A50 to pulp my apples, then it's a trivial job to press them. Don't worry, I did not pay that much, in fact I was given the mincer, so look around, but it must be stainless!

Pulpmaster does work but its laborious . . . Wash apples . . . . Slice apples . . . stick apples in freezer . . .Leave for a week . . . .Take apples out of freezer . . . put in bin . . . . Juice runs out of apples . . . .press lightly and transfer to pulpmaster . . . pulp them . . . . transfer pulp to press and squeeze out the pulp . . . .

this method makes light work of pulping and pressing hard fruits.

If you are interested I have a small steel press I am thinking of parting with . . . I'll stick up a piccie later

Frisp said:
I am reliably informed by a cider making buddy that that is a god bit of kit. However you have to slice/ chop the apples into reasonable sized bits before the pulpmaster. Its laborious but does the job. Its designed not to cut the pips. If the pips are cut apparently it makes the juice overly bitter. I can only say his cider is gert lush so he must know what he is on about.

Don't the pips also contain cyanide? My booze addled brain seems to remember a story in the paper when I was a kid of a bloke who always ate the apple core and ended up dying.

Kind of, they contain amygdalin (as do apricot stones and cherry pips I think) which can release cyanide in the gut when it meets one of the enzymes we've got.

I'm not sure on the levels present but better safe than sorry.

Many thanks for all the answers...

I have brought the Pulpmaster and a small press for now!! I couldnt resist.

I'd definatly still be interested in the press Aleman?

The one I brought was 1.5ltr so ill give that a crack.

Will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back