Is my brew infected?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIDMAN007

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this brew is infected please? It's from a Coopers. It's supposed to be an ale.

I've brewed some of this before and at 22 degrees Celsius it was fine. This one has been sitting at 24-25 degrees for 2 weeks.

I'm suspicious of the floating yeast (I presume it's yeast).

Should I dump this and try again?

DSC_0196.jpg

I would say no. Looks like yeast rafts or perhaps trub chunks to me. After 14 days in the FV when you test your gravity. Have a smell and a taste of the sample. If it smells Ok and tastes OK 99% of the time it is ok. Although there are infections that simply overattenuate the beer till theres no taste left and dont cause any off flavours. But they work slowly and if you drink the beer quickly the infection wont have any real effect - But dont worry about that as beer is remarkably resistant to infections as it has several 'hostile for microbes' conditions going for it

I would strain it through muslin into a clean FV, then leave it a week to see what happens, if theres no sign of fermentation, taste and smell it. if its fine leave it another week some were cold , then bottle or keg and bring back into warmth for 2 weeks then back into the cold to condition ,

I would strain it through muslin into a clean FV, then leave it a week to see what happens, if theres no sign of fermentation, taste and smell it. if its fine leave it another week some were cold , then bottle or keg and bring back into warmth for 2 weeks then back into the cold to condition ,

Why? If it is an infection, the infection will pass through muslin into the secondary. If it isnt an infection the yeast or trub (my thinking on what it is) will sink to the bottom of the FV. If it doesnt the OP will more than likely be racking from below (either with a syphon or tap on the FV which we cant see from the piccies he's provided) and leave whatever it is floating on the top in the FV. I once had a mould or pelicle infection and I simply racked from below and left the infection in the primary and the beer was fine

Can anyone tell me if this brew is infected please? It's from a Coopers. It's supposed to be an ale.

I would take a gravity reading, if thats in the normal region - ie 1.010 - 1.014 when fully fermented out which it should be now I wouldn't be unduly concerned.

I get floating blobs of yeast and stuff, most of it gets left in the FV when you syphon out.

The only beer I've had where I suspect an infection looked like that. It tasted off as well so went own the drain. I'm not an expert on infections by any means, but as others have said, if it's an infection you will probably taste it.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to help me.

The ale smells fine. The flash on the photo made parts appear white while in reality it's just the floating yeast.

I'm gonna do what most of you said and transfer it to a second tub through a muslin cloth.

Then I'll let it sit for two weeks at 21 degrees and see how it goes.

Thank you again for your advice.

Paul.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to help me.

The ale smells fine. The flash on the photo made parts appear white while in reality it's just the floating yeast.

I'm gonna do what most of you said and transfer it to a second tub through a muslin cloth.

Then I'll let it sit for two weeks at 21 degrees and see how it goes.

Thank you again for your advice.

Paul.

Have a re-read, only one person suggested that.

At two weeks it has most likely fermented out, so take a FG reading and taste the trial jar. If it is not vinegar tasting and smells fine then I would bottle it (unless you had a dry hop planned). 2 weeks at 20ish degrees then 2 weeks somewhere cool.

2 weeks in the FV and it smells fine then bottle it with 1/2tsp of sugar per 500ml bottle and you'll have a cracking pint in a month.

I stand corrected. Bottling it is then (after final gravity).

I'm really chuffed at how you've helped me here.

Thank you.

Paul

Latest posts

Back