I think I need to tip it down the drain and start again.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darylt

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new here and also new to brewing this beer malarky and think I have messed up my first attempt :cry:

I am using a Woodfordes brew kit and have been taking advice from my dad who has been making these kits with no problem for some time.

I sterilised everything, used bottled water rather than tap water, followed the instructions fairly closely although allowed slightly longer for each stage. The only thing that I didn't do was the hydrometer test part as I couldn't figure out what the readings were.....

Anyway, I have finished fermenting in a pressure barrel and have allowed a few extra weeks in the barrel (as my dads kit also took slightly longer this time for some reason) however it is still cloudy, flatter than water and has some sediment suspended in it. The only plus is that it looks the right colour, smells about right and the little sip that I had tasted OK too.

So, is it a case of chuck it and start again?

What am I likely to have done wrong (to ensure that I don't do it again)?

Thanks in advance!

darylt said:
Hi all

I'm new here and also new to brewing this beer malarky and think I have messed up my first attempt :cry:

I am using a Woodfordes brew kit and have been taking advice from my dad who has been making these kits with no problem for some time.

I sterilised everything, used bottled water rather than tap water, followed the instructions fairly closely although allowed slightly longer for each stage. The only thing that I didn't do was the hydrometer test part as I couldn't figure out what the readings were.....

Anyway, I have finished fermenting in a pressure barrel and have allowed a few extra weeks in the barrel (as my dads kit also took slightly longer this time for some reason) however it is still cloudy, flatter than water and has some sediment suspended in it. The only plus is that it looks the right colour, smells about right and the little sip that I had tasted OK too.

So, is it a case of chuck it and start again?

What am I likely to have done wrong (to ensure that I don't do it again)?

Thanks in advance!
Does your pressure barrel have a leak allowing the carbon dioxide out so not conditioning the beer?

If it's still cloudy you may be in luck :party:
The most common problem with plastic kegs losing gas is a poor seal on the lid, so, dissolve 50g of white sugar in a minimum of boiling water, whilst that is dissolving, remove the lid and apply a TINY smear of vaseline onto the top of the keg where it seal onto the "o" ring in the lid, add the sugar/water solution and fit the lid, screw it down until you feel it tighten against the top of the keg, don't over tighten as this can distort the seal causing a leak, gently rock the keg to distribute the sugar solution. Place the keg somewhere warm (20C) for a week, then put it somewhere cool for another two weeks and try the beer again, fingers crossed it should be clear and carbonated :thumb:

Latest posts

Back