I made a thing...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr_Tall said:
The wife calls it FrankenFridge:

outside.jpg

It's using this temperature controller that was given to me by a friend:

controller.jpg

Inside:

inside.jpg

The red stuff is anti-condensation heater tape - it puts out enough heat to maintain temperatures if the room gets a bit chilly. Temperature probe is on the left hand side, with the red and white wires going to it.

I'm using this to maintain my fermentation temperatures nice and steady - that's a Munton's lager kit in there at the moment (normally brew all-grain, but I'm testing with a kit). I can use the controller to set a nice low temperature for crash cooling once it's finished, and my two cornies fit in there with the CO2 cylinder nicely (the bottom shelf and compartment have to come out for that).

Hi I'm Louis, I've just started brewing and have an old fridge in the utility shed outside how easy is it to convert that to what you have here?

Louis

As I mentioned earlier, I thought it was quite easy. I wouldn't attempt this sort of thing if you're not confident dealing with mains electricity though.

Mr_Tall said:
It's using this temperature controller that was given to me by a friend:

controller.jpg

I

Where have you mounted the temp controller, in the side?

Im toying with the idea of in door mounting.

Yes, that's the lower left side of the fridge. It's there because the controller is quite a long thing - it goes back about 20cm from there. It fits into the space where the compressor and pipework is.

Back