I don't really know what I'm doing.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinopig

Reaction score
Hello to all!

I'm new to all this, but looking forward to a long career.

I was given a Youngs Brewbuddy kit for Christmas and supplemented it with a pressure barrel and a few other bits and pieces. I have brewed up a barrel of Tom Caxtons Real Ale and it has been barrelled after fermentation for about three weeks. It tastes Ok and is nice and clear now, but it's pretty flat with no head and a little thin and watery for my taste. Is it supposed to be like this or have I done something wrong? Should I buy a pressurising cap type thing from Wilkinsons? (It costs about 18 quid and seems to have no discernable instructions). Also, whats the deal with the Hydrometer, by following the basic instructions that came with the kit (put it in a test jar, fill to within 20 ml of the top and then take reading) I found that I couldn't easily see what i was supposed to be reading.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Regards,

Rhino

Hi I mirrored this just before Xmas (I bought it and called it my present) :cheers:

I found it tasted a bit flat/watery but I think it just needs more time. By New Years Eve my guests were happy with it and drunk it all night and left all their shop bought beer.

I did use a co2 bottle half way through but mainly to preserve it.

I have now bought a Claxton Bitter and used brewing sugars and malts to see the difference its ready to bottle/keg, if I get the dam Hyd reading down (14 days and stuck @ 1030)
I have also got a Woodfordes Wherry waiting to go (£15.74 Wilkinsons)
As for Hydrometer reading/using, look at the top right hand of the home page
I sure someone who know what they are talking about will be along soon

Thanks very much Doh, I'll give it more time and see how it pans out!

Regards

Hi
what stage are you at
Is it still in the fermenting bin?
How long as it been in
How much of the hop enhancer did you use?(sachet)
How many pints did you make 36 or 40

Hi, It's in the barrel now and has been for about three weeks. I used about half of the hop enhancer and made 40 pints.

Regards

Rhinopig said:
Hi, It's in the barrel now and has been for about three weeks. I used about half of the hop enhancer and made 40 pints.

Regards

Best next time to add the full sachet and reduce to 36 pint - less watery
how much sugar you use to prime
One week is way to short a time - go but some bottled beer and wait :D

31bb3 said:
Is it a 1 can kit or 2 ????
1 + add sugar

Thanks for all the advice.

I think I'll be taking a bit more time over the next brew, and as a someone who has an old fondness for a certain North London club, maybe I should be thinking Newcastle Brown!

I did prime the barrell, but reading the posts on here, I am begining to wonder whether it is the fact that I used Tate & Lyle wot done it. The beer, by the way, is quite nice to taste and did get me drunk last night. Not a complete loss then.

Also, I've just realised how idiotic it must sound to be talking about getting the C02 thing to put fizz in my brew when, of course, it is used to add pressure to the barrel, not the brew!

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for an Abbey style kit, a la Leffe Brun?

Thanks again,

Rhino

Rhinopig said:
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I'll be taking a bit more time over the next brew, and as a someone who has an old fondness for a certain North London club, maybe I should be thinking Newcastle Brown!

I did prime the barrell, but reading the posts on here, I am begining to wonder whether it is the fact that I used Tate & Lyle wot done it. The beer, by the way, is quite nice to taste and did get me drunk last night. Not a complete loss then.

Also, I've just realised how idiotic it must sound to be talking about getting the C02 thing to put fizz in my brew when, of course, it is used to add pressure to the barrel, not the brew!

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for an Abbey style kit, a la Leffe Brun?

Thanks again,

Rhino

Gassing the beer with CO2 will gas the beer, give it some gas, leave it a couple of days, and give it some more if need. It's called forced carbonation and is common practice with the guys with fancy Corny kegs. After priming did you leave your keg in a warm place to give the yeasties time to eat the priming sugar, if not that could be why it's flat. If the beer tastes ok, gas it up with your cap and it should be fine.

You can't force carbonate in a budget plastic keg, but the gas injector is useful for maintaining dispensing pressure and keeping CO2 above the brew. If the pressure drops and you get air bubbling back up through the tap, or if you unscrew the lid so it can drain under gravity, when air gets into your keg your beer will go off rapidly.

Back