How much water in my airlock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunyp

Reaction score
Hello just done my first brew the first stage :pray: I was wondering how much water should i put into my airlock the three bobbles each side variety. Thanks in advance and happy brewing :cheers:

That all rather depends upon what the brew is, what other nutrients you may have added, what yeast you're using, what the temperature's like, or if you've added anything which might inhibit the yeast.

If it's under an airlock I would assume it's a wine. Even when pitching the yeast dry, I would expect a Wurzel's Orange to be bubbling within the hour. Other wines may take a few hours before they start to show any signs of activity. I've got 5 gallons of Damson at the moment which flatly refuses to ferment. I must have overdone the sulphite when washing the fruit. If it isn't going by tonight I'm going to have to make up a new starter bottle and try to get it going gradually.

Edit: Sorry, just notice this thread is filed under Beer. I would expect to be seeing a head of foam, certainly within 12 hours. I don't use an airlock on my bucket, the lid isn't gas-tight.

No, don't worry. You've probably got a leak somewhere. I've got two at the moment doing the same. There's no need to worry at all as long as there's signs of fermentation.

Latest posts

Back