How long until my beer is ready?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macsrevenge

Reaction score
I have just sampled my second batch of homebrew "thyroid rejuvenator". It has been in the bottles with some priming sugar for 3 days. It is an IPA so was in the primary fermenter for 7 days and then into the secondary for a further 2 1/2 weeks and I used Safeale S04.

Still very sweet and flat at present and not particularly surprised by this but I am impatient. I know the correct answer to my question is "several months" for an IPA but when is it worth risking another bottle? I need my medication! :grin:

Go for it :thumb:

But have so loo roll handy for tomorrow :grin:

The 'minimum' time can be estimated as 1 week for every 10 gravity points so a 1.040 beer needs 4 weeks a 1.060 6 weeks, and my Imperial stout 2 years!

Been in the bottles for a couple of weeks now. Drinkable at last!!

Still haven't got the hang of pouring it from the bottle. Was crystal clear until I got my hands on it! Certainly wouldn't pass the Feck Test :cry:

Anyway, it is still slightly sweet so will probably wait another few weeks before opening another. Almost no head either, same problem with my last brew, any suggestions?

3471565116_3e2bc59e68.jpg

Ha ah! You need to learn the secret of "The Brewers Inch" :wha:
The secret to pouring bottle conditioned ale is to have have the glass almost horizontal and to tip the bottle slowly and gently and to leave the last 50ml or so in the bottle, the last 50ml being "The brewers Inch"
As regards the head formation time will help as the conditioning gas will be better absorbed into the beer, also glass cleanliness is paramount, the slightest trace of grease, detergent or even dishwasher rinse aid will destroy the head :(

Latest posts

Back