How long can you leave your brew in the primary fermentor?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsbrew

Reaction score
I've already brewed and bottled my first Ale (Tom Caxtons) however I've started another kit (Coopers Lager) and i'm intending to keg it in a pressure barrel this time, along with a few bottles of it.
What I'd like to know is how long I can leave it in the primary fermenter without moving it to the next keg, or bottles. The reason I ask is I've been into Wilko's to get a pressure barrel today but they've sold out and I'll have to wait a week or so and wondered if it's OK to just leave it in the primary fermenting barrel with the air-lock on it.

Thanks for any and all answers

Carl

It'll be OK in primary up to 2 weeks after fermentation is over if it is in the cool :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
It'll be OK in primary up to 2 weeks after fermentation is over if it is in the cool :thumb:

Thanks for that. I'm assuming I move it to somewhere cool once it's stopped bubbling.
What kind of temperatures are we talking about and what's TOO cold?

Cheers for the help :thumb:

Wait until it is finished fermenting (two hydrometer readings the same with a minimum 24 hour gap between each reading), leave it at fermenting temperature (18 to 22C) for a further 5 to 7 days to let the yeast settle and clean up after itself, you can keg or bottle at this stage if required or move it into the cool (don't let it freeze) for another week and deal with it then :thumb:

After leaving it to settle for a week at the fairly average temperatures it's at now, does it matter if when I've moved it to somewhere cooler if the temperature fluctuates as long as it's not freezing. I only ask as I'm thinking of moving it to my shed if needs be as I can't find anywhere in the house cooler than 21 degrees.

Thanks, Carl.

Back