how far up on the pot would you put the return flow?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtons Shed

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've just about finished the fermenting cupboard and I am now looking to finish converting my brewing pots tonight.

I have 5 holes left to drill;

3 on the HLT - 2 for a sight tube and one for the cold feed inlet.

1 on the boiler so I can fill up from the top and run off into another boiler at the same time if I wanted to

1 on the mash tun for the return flow back in from the herms, how far up the pot wall would you have this? Do I go as far up to the top as possible or mid way ish so the return would be below the surface for the wort to reduce HSA.
As I plan to use tank connectors which don't appear to fit a 15mm copper pipe inside I was concerned if I had the inlet above the wort and needed to add something to the end of the inside of the tank connector to either spread the flow or adjust the height I wouldn't be able to so what's the best way to fit someting on the inside of tank connector and where is best to drill the hole for the return flow?

Thanks
Andy
Newtons Shed Brewery

I put mine in the lid and then made it height adjustable so that the return flow is Just under the surface of the wort . . . Fine if you are brewing with the same grist day in day out, otherwise you need some of Vossy's excellent silicone tubing to make it a flexible solution.

15mm copper pipe will fit on to the inside of a tank connector with a little persuasion form a hammer. :D

or you can use a file to take off the inside lip of the connector.

Ah great thanks both, I am down for 4 meters of the silicone hose for the set up so if I have some spare I can use this on the inside of the tank connector failing that as I have a rat file I'll take the inside lip off as suggested and hammer in a piece of copper.

Hiw did you make it hieght adjustable I saw Vossey picture but couldn't figure out how its adjusted.

Thanks
Andy

Back