How do you stop a pressure barrel leak ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy H

Reaction score
Hello,

yesterday transferred a Belgian triple from bucket into a 9 litre plastic pressure barrel, and added the sugar for second fermentation. It's been leaking at the join between the tap and the body of the barrel. tried to stop this by wrapping several layers of tape around the join - this worked okay with beer in my 5 gallon barrel.

However, I've still lost about a litre in 24 hours. Has anyone any tips on sealing, before I lose the lot ?

Food grade silicon sealant, would prob leave it a week or so to gass off before you think about sanitising and getting back to use. Play it by smell, if it still stinks wait abit longer!!

Take the tap off, put some vaseline on the threads and the rubber seal and screw it back in again. Make sure you are only screwing hand tight, doing it too hard will knacker the threads and the seal. If that doesn't work, I'd try using plumbers PTFE tape on the threads.

Once lubricated etc, screw the tap in literally as tight as you can.

Then steralise, and transfer beer back into keg. I had to do this, was a right PITA. Beer was still ok afterwards tough.

Is it the tap shaft that's cracked??
I once had a leaky nylon keg years ago, I eventually found out it was an airline crack on the tap fred. (One for Moley to spot) :D

BB

Back