How do I know when to bottle my beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToyCar

Reaction score
Hello chaps and chapesses,

I'm brewing a coopers green neck lager (I think!) and I keep finding different instructions on when to bottle it.

The instructions with it say after 5 days and the specific gravity stays the same over the course of 2 days, and on their website it says after 2-3 weeks!!

Does anyone have any experience or advice as to when to bottle my beer?

Cheers.

Here's a picture of what I'm brewing:
european-lager.png

Hello ToyCar, the instructions are a bit optimistic to make you think you can drink your beer sooner rather than later! As a general rule, you should wait until the SG is stationary, probably around 1010, for two or three days. A few days extra will not do any harm and may help with the conditioning process so I'd suggest you wait at least 10-14 days then bottle (assuming the SG readings suggest that primary fermentation is complete.

Keep the bottles in a warm(room temp) place for 5-10 days, then 3-4 weeks somewhere cooler, and enjoy! Sampling earlier than this (for quality control purposes only of course :)) is obligatory

Hi Toycar

There is no definitive way to find out when to bottle unless you take readings with a hydrometer before and after and come out at roughly the % that is stated on the box (see the calculators). Usually a reading of 1040 to start and then a reading around 1010 or lower is a good point to get the bottles out.

Failing that listening to the fv and if no more bubbles are appearing in the airlock then it looks like the yeast has done its lot and its ready to go.

If you didn't take a reading and you don't have an airlock fitted then a standard 2 weeks in the fv is pretty much always spot on. :tongue:

Edit: Andy beat me 1st

The only way to be sure is to use a hydrometer. Once it has been stable for 3 days then you can bottle it, but it's a good idea to give it a few days longer. You also need to be sure it is near the expected FG - the instructions should say but 1.015 or lower is probably OK.

Back