How can you tell if a beer is ruined?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukulele Kris

Reaction score
I was looking for the rest of my kit, as my dad has had a tidy up. Turns out he put it in the shed.

But before I knew this I looked behind the sofa, where I am keeping my first brew, and noticed the lid was a fair bit more open than it was before (lady at the shop told me to not fully clip it down, but to clip it mostly, and then unclip a bit, as do the instructions)

Being a bit concerned I had a quick glance (a few seconds), the beer is supposed to be a golden beer, but it still looks quite dark, and there seems to be a fair bit of crud on the surface (and no bubbles any more)... is this right?

I started it on Tuesday last week, so today is it's 7th/8th day (depending on how you look at it)

Have I lost this beer, or am I being a bit too easily worried?

Most drinks look darker in bulk so no worries there I'm a little unsure what the "crud" is a photo could help.

How does It smell/ taste?

I'll take a photo when it's lighter tomorrow. Too scared to disturb it too much, so don't want to start dunking a ladle in it to get a sample to taste

The brew will appear to have gone darker as there will be less yeast in suspension now it has cleared a bit, and the "crud" is most likely normal as others have said. Its easy to worry too much on your first brew as you dont know whats normal.

I worry about everyone i do but they all seem fine. From my limited experience i would say it's fine. Depending on the types of brew you always get a crud. Coopers kits produce the best thickest crud. I would be worried if there wasn't any. Also all the brews look dark in the fv as peeps have already said.
The only thing i would do is make sure the lid is snapped on just about all the way round only leaving the very slightest of an unclasped top onto the fv.
If it has a hole for an air lock i would put one on if you haven't got one i would virtually seal this only leaving again the very slightest gap

Reagrds.
CIB

fbsf said:
evanvine said:
You only need to rest the lid on top to stop any airborne **** getting in.
The CO2 keeps the O2 out!

True, but a fruit fly will get into the smallest space, turning your brew to vinegar if you are unlucky...

Beat me to it fbsf. But also it keeps out airborne's before a blanket of co2 is formed. Best safe than sorry

Latest posts

Back