Hopstands

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys

Wondered if I could have some opinions on this please?

I know most people do their hopstands at around 80c or just under, or sometimes straight from boiling. If I'm not bothered about adding bitterness at this time and just want flavour, can I hopstand at a much lower temperature, say 40c?

Will the hops dissolve at this temperature and extract oils or am I just wasting my time?

I understand about isomerisation and all that jazz, but don't really know if that refers to extracting bitterness or extracting oils.

The temperature of the hop-stand also influences flavour. At between 90 and 100 you accentuate fruity flavours, between 80 and 90 accentuates floral flavours, below 80 favours woody and spicy flavours.

Isomerisation is the process that changes alpha-acids (not bitter) into iso-alpha-acids (that are bitter). Higher heat results in more isomerisation, longer durations lead to more isomerisation. If you go for a longer duration (20-30min) higher temperature (>80C) hopstand, you might be able to drop the bittering addition all together.

Latest posts

Back