Hops - vacuum packed or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll soon be trying my first extract brew. The only local shop to me sells a few hops but in plastic bags, kept on the shelf in the shop. Given that the AAs degrade with temp & oxygen I'd rather source hops from somewhere that stores them properly. So, as far as online retailers go what are peoples advice....?

TIA

Chris

While it's always preferable to support your LHBS, it would be insane to buy hops which have been stored in the manner you have related.

Always (as near as dammit) go for vacuum-packed and those from the previous year's harvest. If your LHBS just uses those for display pruposes and has a nice big bag of fresh ones in his dark freezer, then go for those.

:D

Well, it's not really a LHBS - it's a various things for the house shop that also sells homebrew stuff. I was thinking more about online sources - e.g. the pictures of hops on the Matchless Homberew (forum sponsor) website look exactly the same as my local shop. Will these have been appropriately stored?
Any suggestions for web sources of vacuum packed hops?

Cheers

Cheers - Barley Bottom don't seem to sell malt extract, and I'm not converted to the Dark Side yet....

+1 with UP there, I've used both of those recently and they are excellent. Take a look at the Thrifty then .... order one day, have it the next.

tubby_shaw said:
drf said:
Cheers - Barley Bottom don't seem to sell malt extract, and I'm not converted to the Dark Side yet....
Barley Bottom do sell malt extract Click me :thumb:

AH - cheers. It appears that searching with JavaScript turned off doesn't work very well. Thanks for all the help people, now I just need to get organised!

Latest posts

Back