Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s behind where it was last year. I’m in the north of Scotland for reference.
Yep, as a regular visitor to Sutherland I'm familiar with southerly places like Ross & Cromarty! ;)

That's why I was careful to frame my comments in terms of England, but just generally I wouldn't use weird years like 2022/3 as any kind of benchmark - last year was weird in being one of the hottest June/Julys of all time (even if August was pants) but with average-to-above-average rainfall rather than the drought that usually goes with high temperatures. So it had great growing conditions for the bines, even if the weather wasn't so great at the critical time for flavour development, particularly of the early varieties. This year has been a bit more normal but still a bit on the early side compared to the long-term averages (in England).

It's not been the easiest of years, particularly in Kent, between the warm winter which led to spring dormancy (something the Goldings family are particularly prone to), and the summer drought. Digging it up will only disrupt the root system which protects it against drought, so I wouldn't move it unless there's something obviously wrong with the location. You might want to think about how to give it more water though, so your winter job could be installing some kind of irrigation system, or a better trellis system to support it.
Good tips cheers NB
I’ll keep EKG where it is and give it more love 👍

Back