Homemade Stir plate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
corby_brewer said:
robsan77 said:
Just thought; you could get in trouble using a 2p like that.
ridiculous I know but just giving the heads up ;)

yes but your not defaceing the queen, your sticking a bit of superglue on her. :lol:

HaHa :lol: Actually I've just read through the rest of the thread and it isn't illegal! thew. Bet I had a few people worried there though! :rofl:

What can I use instead of a stirbar? Im trying to make one of these stirplate things at £0 cost and so far the only thing it looks like im gona have to buy is the stirbar itself. £5 for a little bit of PTFE covered metal is too much LOL :oops:

So what can I use that wont contaminate the starter? :wha:

Great job that John! :thumb: Much cheaper than mine as I bought all my stuff from Pixmania and Maplins! I used a steel washer instead of the 2p coin!
Sorry V for not sending you the parts list :oops: Been a little bit busy on the motorways during the recent heavy snow conditions!! Glad BB sorted you out!

corby_brewer said:
robsan77 said:
Just thought; you could get in trouble using a 2p like that.
ridiculous I know but just giving the heads up ;)

yes but your not defaceing the queen, your sticking a bit of superglue on her. :lol:

I put her head up out off respect :eek: How many people can say they've taken the Queen for a spin :whistle:
Or stuck her face on a FAN-NY :lol:

BarnsleyBrewer has :grin: :grin:

heres an instructable link for one also
stir bar
and he has a few suggestion on what you can use as the stir bar
must be able to get magnetic stainless stell ( the cheap stuff is at least)

finished making mine. Used HDD magnets, a washer, 120mm PC fan, a £1 cake tub (pound land ;) ) and an old model train set regulator. Oh and a 75mm stirbar off ebay £5.

Had it spinning away for two days making up a 2 litre starter :cool:

P1260115.jpg

good quality stainless steel should not be magnetic so if it is then its going to rust
and if its good quality no good as a stir bar
will try and make one with some ptfe tape and see what comes of it ( was thinking of melting the tape after wrapping loads round the rod) will let you know if it works in a few days

Quality is hard to define as it depends on purpose and method of manufacture, the steels we are used to hearing in cooking and brewing are generally 302,303,304, 316, 316L etc all classed as a low carbon stainless, some other steels are not suitable for drawing or deep drawing (making pots without welding) these steels are not suitable for cutlery as they are not great for heat treating, however the 400 class have a higher carbon content and can be heat treated, the majority of cutlery is made of 410 or 410S (EN56A) which is hardened and tempered after manufacture and is a mecanite stainless steel, its also used in machine parts, pump shafts, bushings, coal chutes, jet engine parts, mining machinery, rifle barrels, screws and valves, these are not great for welding after unless correctly anealed.
I'm not trying to sound smart or owt, just some info for ya, everyday's a school day for everyone :thumb:
So yup you can just chop some cutlery and smooth the ends and use it.
Bru

Just pull one from the drawer and say nowt, be sure to throw away the bits you dont use, very far away, so the missus or the owner don't find them ;)

Bru4u said:
Just pull one from the drawer and say nowt, be sure to throw away the bits you dont use, very far away, so the missus or the owner don't find them ;)

Maybe as a group we could contact "Uri Geller", he's known to have a few bit's knocking about ;)
uri24_350.jpg

just covered a ikea allen key in ptfe tape to try out but I think it needs more tape and boy is this thing tactile

before I smoothed it
02022010185.jpg

but now its smooth I cant take decent photo of it

Nice work B B :cool:
th, how are you going to sanitise the allen key, has the PTFE been melted to create a seal.

Good fishing tackle shops (and e-bay I'd assume) sell granulated plastic which is used for coating fishing leads, would give a lovely finish. Heat the item sprinkle on the granules, they melt, cool, sorted :cool:

Latest posts

Back