Home malting question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Majik

Reaction score
Evening all

Im currently up to my A**E in grain going through all sorts of home malting guides i have found online (my job gives my lots of "home time", so i can play!) im starring now at 5 buckets, all together adding up to 15kg of pail (ish) malt made in 3kg batches following different instructions.

One thing thats bugging me is this...

Some (a good few) of these sugestions for base malts (just to reiterate, im talking base malt not caramels or any specility malts) require a final kilning at temperatures over 100°C.

Im still very new at all this malarky but with what iv read on mashing, isn't subjecting the grains to temperatures exceding 70°C going to decimate our enzyme friends?

I'v just finihed the final kiln on one of these batches. The house smells wonderful! But im worried now i'll be putting that out for the birds...

Any input greatly appreiated

MM

P.S, the iPads infamous auto correct does not highlight my spelling mistakes on this forum. Please excuse the odd (ok, rther frequebt gaff) <- that ones intentional

Temp is fine. If you malted your own basic malt one way is to weigh the malt at the start then weigh it when its wet then weigh again when doing the drying process. Once the original weight is reached or near to it the grains are just about pale malt. Also proper pale needs a little colour inside the grain cut one open to look and it should be a very light buff envelope colour. :cheers:

The kernel acts to protect the enzymes and sugars trapped inside the grain until you crush it then mash which then releases all the goodies for the brew to turn into wort.

I've only malted my own barley a few time a while ago, so can't remember exactly, but I read somewhere that you should keep your temperature between 50 and 60 deg C. 50 for a light malt and 60 for a dark malt. The key is to keep it under 60, if you take it over it will kill the enzymes. So, basically the longer you heat it for the darker your malt, just keep it under 60. It may be wrong, but I never found anything to the contrary.

screamlead said:
50-60c will do for drying out the malt for basic pale, 80 is fine to bring it up to biscuit colour of the kernal fine for base malts too :cheers:
Interesting. Where did you find this information? I struggled to find anything concrete when I was looking myself.

Latest posts

Back