HOME MALTING - 2v6 opinions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Majik

Reaction score
Hi all

For those that malt their own, or ny body in fact, what are your opinions on 2 row Vs 6 Row?

The only grain grown near me seems to be 6 row. I have come accross a few articles saying 6 row is inferior but i was thinking, on a small "home brew" scale does it relly matter.

It works for me (well it has to, its all i can get) i'd just like to know other people's thoughts.

Merci
Liam

Traditionally, 6row has more husk and non-starchy bits like the endosperm. These bits store the enzymes that convert starch into sugar during the mash. The more of these there are the more non-malt adjuncts you can chuck in the brew. Also depending on conditions the quicker the starch is converted. However, these non starchy bits also contain most of the nitrogen and proteins. So traditionally, 6row has darkened beers and changed the mouthfeel.

That's traditionally but modern 6 row have been bred to have a lot of flour/starch and there isn't too much between it and 2row for brewing as a base malt. Adjunct heavy beers (mass produced lagers, cream ales, saisons, biere de garde etc) do or have used them.

In the end it doesnt really matter if its 6row or 2row if it isnt malting barley i.e. Not low nitrogen. If you use a high nitrogen or landrace barley you will get an orange beer and really rich/enhanced malty mouthfeel. Good for trad saisons, gotlandsdricke, Norwegian farm beers etc.

F

6-row is used the mash of american corn whiskey because of the enzymes to convert the raw rye and corn mash so therefore i dont know it depends on if you want to make it will be beer i know thatcbut some styles like cream ale look for 6 over 2. 2 is better though for beer.

Back