Home bar help!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MELCOLLIER93

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m wondering if someone can help. Me & my partner are building a bar in the back garden & need some help.

we’ve got a fridge that will fit 2 Cornelius kegs in along with 2 gas canisters 1 being Co2 & the other 70/30.

I need help with where to buy the Cornelius kegs from? - full. So like fosters corny keg or Guinness corny keg. We’re in the Manchester area so any help would be very appreciated. All I can seem to find is empty kegs. Does anyone know of a brewery that we could set up an account with or buy them online etc?

thank you. :)

Hi guys I’m wondering if someone can help. Me & my partner are building a bar in the back garden & need some help.

we’ve got a fridge that will fit 2 Cornelius kegs in along with 2 gas canisters 1 being Co2 & the other 70/30.

I need help with where to buy the Cornelius kegs from? - full. So like fosters corny keg or Guinness corny keg. We’re in the Manchester area so any help would be very appreciated. All I can seem to find is empty kegs. Does anyone know of a brewery that we could set up an account with or buy them online etc?

thank you. :)
They type of beer you are talking about isn't going to come in small barrels. Speak to local breweries to see what they use, you may need certain adapters etc.

You could try some local micro breweries with their own bars as they may have their own stock and could well repackage into cornies which you would have to supply yourself as these are only used by homebrewers whereas commercial ones are only filled with soft drinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a friend that buys half kegs in cash n carry all brands available

If you have a local micro brewery they will usually sell you a firkin (9 Gallon) as this was the smallest amount I used to buy, you could also set up a bookers account and buy the barrels of lager or guinness from them, but you are into pub style set ups then. I would avoid the beer machines you put a cartridge in like the Krups as they work out expensive, your ideal set up is the way others have already tried to point you with a Corny Keg set up and home brewing your own beer.

I have just built my own Kegerator build so can give you costings any pictures you want and any help I can, one thing you have come to the right forum very knowledgeable and friendly but a bit more info of wantyou want to get out of your set up would be good,to give you an idea of a Kegerator build I bought a tall fridge from Facebook Marketplace for £80, my taps and 2 x kegs were £245 my CO2 was £65 depostit on the bottle and £35 for the gas, cheaper in the long run than bulbs or sodastream, with all the terms and buzzwords we tend to throw about it can seem a massive project but if you can twirl a spanner you will be fine, let me know if you need any pix or info as before I get into a new project I research research and research and its all fresh as just done it

If you have a local micro brewery they will usually sell you a firkin (9 Gallon) as this was the smallest amount I used to buy, you could also set up a bookers account and buy the barrels of lager or guinness from them, but you are into pub style set ups then. I would avoid the beer machines you put a cartridge in like the Krups as they work out expensive, your ideal set up is the way others have already tried to point you with a Corny Keg set up and home brewing your own beer.

I have just built my own Kegerator build so can give you costings any pictures you want and any help I can, one thing you have come to the right forum very knowledgeable and friendly but a bit more info of wantyou want to get out of your set up would be good,to give you an idea of a Kegerator build I bought a tall fridge from Facebook Marketplace for £80, my taps and 2 x kegs were £245 my CO2 was £65 depostit on the bottle and £35 for the gas, cheaper in the long run than bulbs or sodastream, with all the terms and buzzwords we tend to throw about it can seem a massive project but if you can twirl a spanner you will be fine, let me know if you need any pix or info as before I get into a new project I research research and research and its all fresh as just done it
That’s amazing! Some pictures of the set up would be perfect! Our idea is to put the kegs l & has into fridges, essentially drill a hole in the top so the lines can go through up to the pumps & hey ho we have a bar the line would not be very long at all. I’m assuming this would work.

I think...to dispense pub barrels you may need a pump if some sort for some types and a chiller. To dispense anything the beer line needs to be of specific length and diameter. You should also consider how you are going to clean your lines and what with.

I think...to dispense pub barrels you may need a pump if some sort for some types and a chiller. To dispense anything the beer line needs to be of specific length and diameter. You should also consider how you are going to clean your lines and what with.
We were using a fridge as a chiller then feed the line through the top of the fridge & straight to the pump. Would this not work? & because the line would be that short, we wouldn’t have to clean it fully with line clean.

I must be a tightarse.
If I wanted Fosters and Guinness, I'd spent 400 or 500 quid on cans of Fosters and Guinness and bang em in the fridge as and when, rather than buy the keg set-up LOL

Good luck, hope you get it sorted and please post a pic of the finished job, we all love a bit of bar envy :)

That’s amazing! Some pictures of the set up would be perfect! Our idea is to put the kegs l & has into fridges, essentially drill a hole in the top so the lines can go through up to the pumps & hey ho we have a bar the line would not be very long at all. I’m assuming this would work.
You could keep the kegs in the fridge and run the lines in an insulated python but it would have to be short or it would
DSC_0601.JPG
IMG-20200423-WA0007.jpeg
DSC_0601.JPG
DSC_0600.JPG
warm up and then you would end up with foam, far better in my opinion to drill the taps into the fridge to make a Kegerator like mine

bevvid idea is the easiest :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:, I'm defo a tightarse, so trying to get the costs of my boozing down, so I spent a few quid getting set up but should pay for itself as I am brewing like mad, found an article on the cost per pint and all grain the guy had a recipe that got it to 22p per pint, but not sure when this was but of course you need to buy the gear. I was lucky when I lived in the homelands (Wales) my mate used to do cellar installs and repairs so got a full set up pub cooler, keg connectors everything I needed for a bargain 70 quid

We were using a fridge as a chiller then feed the line through the top of the fridge & straight to the pump. Would this not work? & because the line would be that short, we wouldn’t have to clean it fully with line clean.
you have to clean the full line no matter how long or short it is.

If you have a friendly local microbrewer who does carry-outs you may be able to pre-arrange a 19l collection. Key Kegs are very popular with craft brewers and are available from a number of distributors. You will need a different coupler but any gas or compressed air can be used to dispense as it is kept separate from the beer and the kegs are recyclable. Brewdog have just begun offering key kegs to the public for the first time too...

Latest posts

Back