"Hillcrest IPA" & "Harvest Gold"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
All being well I shall be brewing an IPA and “something else” at the weekend :party:

This thread explains how/why/what I’m brewing:

"Parti-Gyle Help Required"

Sorry it’s so long but I wanted to type the process out in case I do it again and it’s also there then for anyone who wants to make suggestions or follow some of the steps. :thumb:

Right.....

The plan is to get 2 different beers from the same mash (well almost :hmm: ), what I aim to do is get 23L of 1.070 IPA first and then carry on fly sparging to collect the runnings until they get down to 1.020 to give me (?)L of (?.???) wort when I know the volume and gravity of this wort I’ll decide how I am going to hop it. :grin:

The IPA will have 17 of its gravity points from 1kg sugar which I will add 15/20 mins from the end of the boil.

So, the intention is:

For beer 1 : “Hillcrest IPA”

23L
Target OG 1.070
Target IBU 120

14kg Maris Otter Pale Malt
300g East Kent Goldings 5.7aa

I will mash 14kg Maris Otter pale malt at 67c for 90 mins(might reduce to 60mins :hmm: ) (mash liquor ratio 2.5L/1kg = 35L)

Then run-off and fly sparge until I have collected the required “sugar-points” which in this case is 1219, Phil kindly explained how this is calculated in the thread linked above but using my brew as an example…my target is 23L at 1.070, I will (according to Beersmith) be getting 1.017 from the 1kg sugar which means I need to get the other 1.053 from the mash to make it up to 1.070. So 23(L) X 53 (GP) = 1219 Sugar-Points needed from the mash. :thumb:

I will take volume and gravity readings of the runnings from the tun every few minutes until I have collected 1219 SP’s. This may mean for example that I collect 14L of 1.087 wort (14 x 87 = 1218), once my required Sugar-Points are collected I will dilute down to my pre boil volume (required final volume + expected losses to boiler + expected losses to hops + expected losses to evaporation during the boil).

The 1kg sugar will be diluted in a few litres of boiling wort 20 mins from the end of the boil and returned to the boiler, this makes sure there is at least 15 minutes for sterilisation.

Hopefully after all of that I will have 23L of 1.070 wort to ferment.

With regards hopping this beer I’m aiming for around 120IBU (ouch!), this is a much higher IBU than anything I’ve brewed before, I will be getting all of these IBU’s from 5.7aa East Kent Goldings which (again according to Beersmith) equates to 300g of hops. Lots of food for the compost bin after this brewday! I’m unsure if I should First Wort Hop (FWH) or not though??– would be happy to take advice on this… :idea: :?:

For beer 2 : “Weak Dribbles” Bitter

I will add 700g (5%) Crystal Malt to mash tun just to give the next beer some more malt character. Crystal doesn’t need to be mashed but I’ll let it sit in the tun for 15 mins before I begin sparging.

I’ll then sparge until the runnings go down to 1.020(ish) and then take a reading of what I have VOL/SG and decide how I’m going to hop it. I fancy something medium bitterness but lots of hop aroma, might use Fuggles & Bobeks or maybe some Cascade.

Looking forward to doing this, I think it’ll be a long one plenty of pics to be taken along the way.

Wez

sounds bloody complicated mate but hope you have a goodun!

i was thinking of winging a parte gyle (sp) by just setting my first fermenter of runnings to one side and playing it as i go.

i've never had runnings higher than 1.080 i guess because the liquor is up to maximum sugar saturation at that temp. it doesn't start to drop until mid-way through my second of 4 fermenters full of collected runnings.

it would be a laugh boiling 1.080 wort.. it'd end up about 1.092 after 60 mins !!! now THAT's a big beer :D

Bet you can't wait to do this brew :cheers:

Will be hoping it goes well :pray:

Have a good one and keep us all posted. :thumb:

You may get us all started on this so we can get a couple of beers from each brewday. Especially good I would think for those with a large volume setup.

oh wait 1.080 un corrected... that's about 1.100... after a 60 min boil that'd be about 1.115 :shock:

oooh i've gotta have a go at this :D :drunk:

edit... i wonder if i would need wine yeast to reach full attentuation at that gravity :twisted:

Searching the forum, I found this little golden nugget from Aleman:

Big beers require large amounts of yeast and lots of aeration. I've done a couple of Imperial Stouts, and am planning on doing Bass' No 1. (From Durden Park) over the winter, and have never had a Stuck ferment, but I do exactly what you suggest, brew a double corny length of a session beer (around 1.038) and then pitch the big beer on the yeast cake, a triple dose of yeast nutrient (and servomyces) and then aeration every hour until the krausen starts to form, at which point I drop (with aeration) into the Primary FV. I've had a 1.102 IS drop to 1.016 in two weeks using this method.

I have a 1.050 beer that I fermented with s04 that I can rack to keg on brewday, do you guys think it would be a good idea to drop this IPA onto the yeast cake?

sounds like a plan :thumb:

infact that's temping me to do a big beer tomorrow and drop it onto 4 fermenters worth of yeast cake poured into one fermenter.

what's the risk of DMS though with all that trub already there to start with?

Look'en good Wez, also as far as yeast Nottingham is also a good freind to have a few packs around

How's it going Wez?

I was hoping to brew this weekend but I've just noticed I'm out of yeast :(

yep, it's gonna look like a mental amount of hops in the bottom :lol: hoping to get some good piccys ;)

i was tempted to ask if i could pop over and watch you do this one... but i've got a brewday planned myself ;)

have a good one mate :thumb:

Having a solo brewday tomorrow ;) have 'other family stuff' going on too ;)

Thanks Stew, you have a good one too :thumb:

Right well I wasn't quite up at the crack of Dawn
435px-Dawn_French_3.jpg
but the HLT was put on at 07:15 :thumb:

Hope you're well through the first mash Wez :thumb:

It's gonna be a long day. Take it easy :cheers:

Going well so far ..... my whole street sticks of hops :D

I've collected another 40L from the mash before the runnings dropped to 1.020 - will figure out what to brew with that in a bit :grin:

Latest posts

Back