Hi - Moin from Hamburg (DE)!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julien-Hamburg

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for accepting me & letting me joining your Forum. My name is Julien (coming from France), leaving in Hamburg (Germany) I did started to brew few months ago, did approximately 20 Batch (each 23L). I just like to try new thing, no prefered style, just enjoying brewing new beer and discovering new style/things. I did jump into brewing cause I love good beer, but I am also a researcher in chemistry, and therefore I have access to some cool equipment for analysis...

Regarding my equipment, I qualified myself as 'small' I would say, I have a brewmonkey 30L & few fermenters (1 Conic & few plastic bucket).

Yeast that I like to use ... I am quite a good fan of those Lallemand dry yeast. Did not jump yet into the liquid yeast, as I thing they are quite pricy (too little fridge space so hard to harvest & store). Did few batches with those WHC lab (Saturated / Sweet Release / Einstein), but get kind of disappointed with them. Super Cool design packaging, but I was expecting more for them.

So yes, thanks again for accepting me there ! I already check the forum and find a lot of interesting discussion !

Cheers,
Julien

Last edited by a moderator:
Best place for liquid yeast is Braumarkt. They have a shop in Hamburg and another one in the Netherlands. Wyeast is €9.99 a sachet and I haven't seen it cheaper than that anywhere.
There's no need to use liquid yeast, though. Lallemand sachets are good and we use liquid for variety, not necessarily for quality.
Would recommend you get yourself a spare fridge for your yeasts (and chilling your beer). It's a waste of your skills not to harvest and reuse your yeast even the sachets.
I only go as far as 2nd generation, but I still get at least 5 pitches out of a sachet of yeast, which makes it very cheap.
Welcome and enjoy the hobby.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for accepting me & letting me joining your Forum. My name is Julien (coming from France), leaving in Hamburg (Germany) I did started to brew few months ago, did approximately 20 Batch (each 23L). I just like to try new thing, no prefered style, just enjoying brewing new beer and discovering new style/things. I did jump into brewing cause I love good beer, but I am also a researcher in chemistry, and therefore I have access to some cool equipment for analysis...

Regarding my equipment, I qualified myself as 'small' I would say, I have a brewmonkey 30L & few fermenters (1 Conic & few plastic bucket).

Yeast that I like to use ... I am quite a good fan of those Lallemand dry yeast. Did not jump yet into the liquid yeast, as I thing they are quite pricy (too little fridge space so hard to harvest & store). Did few batches with those WHC lab (Saturated / Sweet Release / Einstein), but get kind of disappointed with them. Super Cool design packaging, but I was expecting more for them.

So yes, thanks again for accepting me there ! I already check the forum and find a lot of interesting discussion !

Cheers,
Julien

I'm a fan of dry yeast too - just so convenient. Tried liquid once and it didn't work, I will try it again though at some point.

Discovering new styles is a big part of home brewing. I would never have had a Saison if I hadn't made one myself.

As @An Ankoù says, you will need another fridge but beware - they breed, I've now got two larder fridges and an under-counter fridge in my brewshed 😁.

Thanks a lot for your welcoming message !

@An Ankoù: I actually always buy my stuff either in their shop (yeast & hopfen) and the malt on their online website. The people of this shop are always extremly friendly and helpfull.

Harvesting yeast is on my to do list. I do some starter, to make the bill cheaper so I should also harvest the yeast more often.

Hi Everyone, Thanks for accepting me & letting me joining your Forum. My name is Julien (coming from France), leaving in Hamburg (Germany) I did started to brew few months ago, did approximately 20 Batch (each 23L). I just like to try new thing, no prefered style, just enjoying brewing new beer and discovering new style/things. I did jump into brewing cause I love good beer, but I am also a researcher in chemistry, and therefore I have access to some cool equipment for analysis... Regarding my equipment, I qualified myself as 'small' I would say, I have a brewmonkey 30L & few fermenters (1 Conic & few plastic bucket). Yeast that I like to use ... I am quite a good fan of those Lallemand dry yeast. Did not jump yet into the liquid yeast, as I thing they are quite pricy (too little fridge space so hard to harvest & store). Did few batches with those WHC lab (Saturated / Sweet Release / Einstein), but get kind of disappointed with them. Super Cool design packaging, but I was expecting more for them. So yes, thanks again for accepting me there ! I already check the forum and find a lot of interesting discussion ! Cheers, Julien
Bonjour, willkommen, welcome.
Enjoy the forum.

Last edited:
Welcome. If you are a small brewer at 23 l, I am tiny at around 8-10l, or sometimes less for experimenting, or making up remainders. I use dry yeast (mostly MJ, have used many different kinds of them), but I have also a selection propagated out of bottles, Westmalle and St.-Bernardus yeasts are my favourites. And we only replaced our previous freezer with a combination freezer and refrigerator, mostly to keep beers in bottles cool (and apples too in autumn, actually I also harvest apples (made some cider too), and grapes (today, will probably be good for a bottle of 8 of wine)).

Back