Hi from East Sussex

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owler

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I am new to the forum, having been bitten by the homebrew bug only recently. I am 40 years old and live in Hurst green, East Sussex.

I have not got much brewing experience under my belt yet; I bought a kit just before the World Cup started and got it going (Coopers - European Pilsner, I think) - 35 odd pints currently conditioning in the garage (12 week conditioning phase - ouch!). I have sampled it, and it appears to have worked, but I am reserving full judgement for when the conditioning phase is over.

Since then, I have been reading and re-reading 'Homebrewing for Dummies' by Marty Nachel and 'Clone Brews' by Tess and Mark Szamatulski - both good reads (in my limited opinion).

I have also (last weekend) moved onto my second brew; an extract recipe from 'Clone Brews' called 'Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager' (although if it works, I shall be calling it something else!). So far so good - currently bubbling away under the stairs in the primary fermenter. I am looking to rack off into the secondary fermenter this weekend and begin the 'lagering process' (I have a glass carboy and dedicated fridge in the garage) - fingers crossed!

Sorry to bang-on, but I am dead excited about this new hobby, and delighted (as is my girlfriend) that I have somewhere to 'spout off' about it. I look forward to speaking to many of you and sharing your 'brewing exploits' soon.

Cheers

Pete

Sounds like you are well on the way to the dark side if you have got an extract brew fermenting :thumb:
Welcome to the forum and "Spout off" as much as you like :grin:

welcome to the forum :cheers:

snap on the age and a recent start :drink:

Only one warning - stay on this forum too long and you WILL end up moving to the dark side and AG brewing :nono: :whistle:

Thanks for the warm welcome, chaps.

I must admit the 'Dark Side' does appeal to me, but cannot deny I am a little daunted by all the equipment + space which it looks like I will need for AG. Maybe Father Christmas will weigh me in if I am prudent with my list? (sorry for bringing that up during September). In the meantime, I thought I would graduate to a 'Mini-Mash' technique I read about for my next brew (I have in mind another lager).

I had to get my own fridge, as the carboy would fill it and, although I haven't ventured there, I can imagine the response I would get from the family if I even attempted to commandeer the kitchen one. Never mind - it is better this way, as there is no meddling fingers involved (apart from my own!). I tried to get an adjustable electronic thermostat for it, but it proved too expensive - ah well, I shall struggle with the built in thermostat and a traditional thermometer.

Today is 'racking off' day - Thanks again!

Cheers!!! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back