Hi everyone! I want to grow my brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustintatiousAles

Reaction score
I am in bournemouth and looking for like minded home brewers to take the next step with me into brewing for distribution further than friends!

Welcome to the forum.

I wish you good luck, this has been discussed in the forums before and if i remember correctly it turned out to be more hassle than it was worth.

The MISERY OF BUREAUCRACY:

BREWING red tape demanded that Mr Shields:

• Register as a brewery
• Start to measure the alcohol content of his beer
• Record the amount of malt he buys
• Create a bonded warehouse in his shed
• Pay duty of 20p a bottle
• Obtain a personal licence to sell alcohol
• Go on a one-day course
• Have his criminal record checked by police
• Obtain a premises licence for the sale of beer
• Pin up notices outside the front of his house
• Take out newspaper advertisements

A HAMPSHIRE homebrewer has found himself tangled in masses of red-tape, after wanting to sell his beer to a few friends.

Real ale lover Robert Shields who produces just 100 pints a month of his Moorlands and Runnymede bitters, has had to register as an official brewery, get two further licences and convert his shed into a bonded warehouse.

He then had to get a personal licence to sell alcohol and go on a training course before police ran a criminal record check on him.

Finally authorities demanded he put up notices in front of his house and take out official adverts in the Daily Echo.

Mr Shields, from Bishop's Waltham, said: "I'm proud of my beer. I only started making it six months ago. I understand the need for all of this for an off licence or a pub, but it's bit over the top for someone who wants to sell beer to their friends. This is not a public business but I still have to put up a notice saying I'm selling beer. Even though I'm not.

It's only to friends.”

A spokesman for the Campaign for Real Ale, said: "It's right that if you are selling it to people then you have to make sure it is of a demonstrable quality.

"I would suggest that he continues as a home brewer and shares it with his friends and if they want to chip in and help him buy the ingredients then there's nothing wrong with that.”

I appreciate the feedback! I already have the personal licence which a crb was necessary for! The notice on the door and paper advert is part of the premises licence! I am planning to sell to trade and to clubs initially that way I won't need the premises licence as the club and traders are the purchasers and won't consume the goods themselves therfore I am selling wholesale not for consumption! I have an out building that is durable lockable and usable so this would become my warehouse! I have been planning this for some time and am prepared to take it slow and steady! Success starts with a dream and comes into fruition with ambition! ;-)

No need to apologise i did not take it that way at all, i assumed wrongly that you were someone that makes a bit of home brew and was hoping to move on to bigger things, looks like you have done your homework, it will be interesting to see how you go from here.

I am hoping it will go well! I am booked in on a course for Saturday to just answer all my little questions! I am aiming to have my all grain bottled and in a few local pubs by 3 years! Slow and steady wins the race!

Well if anyone with a bit of knowledge want to meet and possibly do business together I am more than interested in having a partner or 2 bournemouth and surrounding areas! ;-)

I have just reread what I wrote and it sounds snooty and moody I do apologies!

Doesn't sound snooty to me though the name sounds ostentatious :D.

I'm sure you know, craft brewing is a booming industry in the UK and the States. You've got to start somewhere, all the best.

I'm in Ilkley, so I'm not a candidate for assisting.

What type of help are you looking for? Brewer, finance, distribution, buyer?

If you give the brewing community a heads up on your plans, you might attract people not only with brewing skills but maybe some complimentary business skills as well.

I am based in Surrey but run a business in Bournemouth with my brother (who lives there) and have been thinking about starting a microbrewery and should have some cash early next year. If you PM me your contact detail or a request for mine we could discuss what you want to do further. I have experience of running a company outside of brewing and have done some all grain home brew but have no idea when it comes to licensing etc.

I have just sent you an email, I recommend you delete it from the above post as bots pick it up and you could get endless spam.

Latest posts

Back