Hemsworth Beer Fesrival 25th - 26th July

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.hamelsworde.co.uk/festival/

hemsworth_festival_logo.jpg

Hemsworth beer festival will take place at Hemsworth Community Centre on the 25th and 26th July. There will be a great range of beers from Yorkshire microbreweries, plus some special guests from further afield. The festival aims to showcase English hops. The trend at the minute is towards American and New Zealand hops but we feel that English hops are undervalued. There is a fantastic range of top quality hops grown in God’s own country and we will be demonstrating their versatility. Many of the breweries that have confirmed have agreed to do a special beer that will only be found at our beer festival.

Sounds like a good cause and I hope it does well. We have a lot of diversity in these times and possibly much to thank those across the pond for, but I can't get that excited by wheelbarrows of [insert fruity/zingy USA hop variety] steeped into the palest-pale beerwater known to man, again and again. Let's hope that by 'versatility' the Yorkshire brewers intend to continue to give the English hops some substance in the malt base in many of the beers and don't simply start creating American style hop-teas.

Cold boxing day at the local this year, 4 hand pulls on, 3 of them very pale. What's going on?

its about what sells mate, market forces drive whats made commercially. i can gaurentee a pale zingy hop tea will outsell a browner maltier more staid beer 10-1

I have 20 beers in my brewery line up i have to rebrew the same two of the palest of pale zingy beers filled with us and nz hops every week(normally 4 brews sometimes 5) and some of the more balanced ones once a month, its the same in every brewery i know of even ones with only a few lines. if a publican buys a more trad beer and it dosent sell as well as a more hop forward beer hell not bother getting it as often.....

Thanks for the insight - I appreciate your honesty regarding commercial demands too. So many artisan brewers seem to hang their reputation on single foreign hop pale ales. If the Yorkshire brewers are showcasing the locally grown hops, then I can see why they may want to use pale bases sometimes too. Good luck to all. Hope it's a nice event.

Back