Help with new plate chiller please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedsbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Going to use my new plate chiller for the 1st time today. Its one of THESE

Does it matter which side you use for wort or cooling water? One side is 1/2" BSP and the other 3/4" BSP! Just wondered if it mattered?

Cheers

LB

I don't think it matters tbh, but I'd like to see confirmation as I have the exact same one :cool:

Are you fitting an in-line filter before the wort hits the plate chiller?
If so, I'd be interested to see it please.

I've got a 'hop-rocket' ordered, I might use that as mine.

ATB

I have the same and the wort goes in top left side and comes out bottom left side. Water opposite (in bottom right, our top right).

I'm pretty sure it does makes a difference and mine works very well, cools 80 litres in about 25 mins.

I don't use a hop filter but I've only used it 3 times so it probably will get a bit clogged up. I run boiling wort through it for about 10 mins before the boil ends to sterilise it and then I run some Antiformin through when I clean up.

Use the 1/2 Side for wort and the 3/4 Side for coolant.

Stand it on end, and feed the hot wort in from the bottom and cold out the top (this fills all the interstices with wort and not air bubbles making it more effective)

Coolant obviously goes the other way round (In top out bottom)

Ideally you need a 0.5mm filter in line before the plate chiller . . . #30 or #40 mesh for a hop stopper fit the bill here.

After use flush water through the wort channel from bottom to top . . to back flush it . . . then Pressure cook it for 15 minutes, before filling the wort side with boiling water and sealing it.

Thanks all!

I thought it was that way round!

Aleman, thanks for the tip on having it end on! wouldn't have thought of that! I'm using #40 mesh hop stopper and whole hops today so all is good! :D

Aleman said:
Use the 1/2 Side for wort and the 3/4 Side for coolant.

Stand it on end, and feed the hot wort in from the bottom and cold out the top (this fills all the interstices with wort and not air bubbles making it more effective)

Coolant obviously goes the other way round (In top out bottom)

Bugger will have to do a refit in the morning :whistle: .
Hx.jpg

And I thought I'd done such a good Job :D

That's a brill job Snail... :clap: pity we don't get to read these posts before we do a job... :wha:
never mind you'll sort it out ok...but look on the bright side when the time comes for me to get one...I'll know how to do it.. :lol: thanks.

Latest posts

Back