Help With Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loverlovell-08

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to the forum! I am about to make my first ever batch of lager (Coopers European) and I've researched over and over to make sure I know the process, but I need advice with how much sugar should be added to 2 litre PET bottles before I fill? I don't want to turn 12 bottles into an explosion! Please offer any advice and guides to how much I should use, thankyou!

Alex :)

Welcome to the forum you are in the right place for advice :thumb: :thumb: We usually put in 4 teaspoonsful of sugar per 2 litres. :cheers: :cheers:

Think your supposed to put 1tsp per pint so id put 2 or 3 as not to over carbonate it thats what i used to do before i bought my corny kegs now i just force carbonate

We've never had a problem with over carbonating 2 litres = 3.5 pints so 4 teaspoons is just fine. :thumb: :thumb:

We use old 2 litre fizzy drink bottles none have ever exploded on us. Must also add Mr Witch uses heaped teaspoons and the lager is lovely. :D :D :D

PET Bottles 'blow' at about 250psi so that is quite a bit of carbonation to achieve that, considering that you normally aim for something like 20psi for lagers.

As a batch primer I normally go for 60g in 20L . . . what that is in tsp I'm afraid I have no idea

Thankyou so much for the replies guys, much appreciated, I should be getting my brewing starter kit on monday, and then I'm gona get started! Any tips or things to aid me through my first batch? Thankyou again guys! :)

loverlovell-08 said:
Thankyou so much for the replies guys, much appreciated, I should be getting my brewing starter kit on monday, and then I'm gona get started! Any tips or things to aid me through my first batch? Thankyou again guys! :)

My biggest mistake in the early days is pissing around with it too much. Start it, leave it and forget about it for 10-14 days. Only then open the lid if and when you really need to. I used to open mine just for a smell, or a look to make sure its fine. Then one of my brews spoilt and it upset me.

Latest posts

Back