Help with a beer tap & tower

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZZKIKR

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here and it’s a help me question sorry. I picked up a carling condensation font off ebay when I was a little bit drunk the other night. It’s in fairly good condition but it is in need of a good clean out, so I started trying to tear it to bits last night and get cleaning. It’s also my intention to have it on top of a soon to be kegerator fridge but that’s a work in progress.

After removing the clamp that secures it to the bar I was left with the following.
pipes.jpg

The 2 blue pipes I assume are for the condensation part of the tap and it’s my intention to block these off. The centre cylinder of the tap is solid so I can’t actually get in to remove the pipes fully. I was thinking just blocking them up as I have no real need to use them if this will be on top of a kegerator. Could this cause any problems?

The other 2 one is the beer line and one is a power cord and goes to a light at the top of the font.

Looking from the top with the light part removed and viewing the back of the tap (excuse the filth on this the pics were taken pre cleaning)
DSC_0114.jpg
DSC_0135.jpg

Now I am confused by this the beer pipe it is really thin I am not sure of the exact size but would that cause me any problems or can it be replaced with a bigger line? To give you an idea of the size of this line here it is next to a 10p coin
DSC_0132.jpg

The other thing is the pipe looks to be held in place by a little red clip and is in turn plugging into the back of this (tap removed)
DSC_0133.jpg

If I remove the tube would I then be able to remove the cone part at the back of the tap? If I do remove the tube am I in any danger of not being able to put it back together? Also the thin beer line is filthy and I would rather just replace it is that possible could I get away with a 3/8 pipe to this?

Just as a bit of background I mostly brew cider. I currently have a corny keg that I recently purchased. I have not invested in disconnects/pipes/co2/co2 regulator. It is my intention to top mount the tap on an under the counter stile fridge and have the keg and all sitting in the fridge.

Sorry for all the questions on my first post but any help you could give me would be most appreciated.

It looks like a 5/16th line. You can get 3/8ths 'standard' size line to 5/16th converters so that's not a problem. I think you may struggle to replace the line if you remove it from the font fitting. If you can give it a good clean when you have your cornie set up then it shouldn't be a problem. I would leave the cooling lines incase you come to sell it on or eventually get it hooked up to condensate again.

D

Darcey said:
It looks like a 5/16th line. You can get 3/8ths 'standard' size line to 5/16th converters so that's not a problem. I think you may struggle to replace the line if you remove it from the font fitting. If you can give it a good clean when you have your cornie set up then it shouldn't be a problem. I would leave the cooling lines incase you come to sell it on or eventually get it hooked up to condensate again.

D

nice one Darcey thank you for your reply. I may well just block the cooling lines and tuck them away in that case as they are not taking up that much space to cause any problems. I'll look into the converter rather than replacing the line. I think the pipe is cleanable where it is at the moment, it's just going to take a fair bit of cleaning before I am happy with it. I will have to learn never to go on e-bay after a few pints again :D

Latest posts

Back