Help to find a washer for a leaking tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZZKIKR

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need a little bit of help replacing possibly the most frustrating little washer I have ever encountered. It’s causing a leak in my kegerator at the tap and it’s because this washer is just worn out. I have tried finding replacements but I just can’t get one that will do the job properly. I have an old jar full of washers but they are either the wrong size or not flexible enough to fit the tap. I believe in the US these are called faucet body gasket’s but all the sites I have found supplying these do not seem to have the actual size or material they are made of listed. This tap is an old carling tap and I would imagine different from the US towers/taps but if I don’t know the size the US sites are selling I don’t want to risk it.
It’s from this part of the tap
DSC_0337.jpg

Here is the cause of all my problems on a 10p coin
DSC_0334.jpg

And to give you an idea of the size of it
DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

It’s made of rubber I believe and has like a small lip on it. You can see where it’s worn on the right inner part of the picture above and that’s what’s causing me problems. I shall give 1000 internets and my eternal gratitude to anyone who can point me to a web site selling these or someone who can supply them.

LeithR said:
Hi there,
Can you tell who made the tap for Carling? If you can you might be able to approach them and inquire.

hi thanks for the reply, sadly the tap did not have any manufacturing info on it and I couldn't find anything on it appart from carling info. I did try and google to find out but I couldn't find out who made them for them. As a last resort I could drop them an e-mail but it's a bit of a long shot.

I have a spare carling font, used, no leaks afaik, but the front sign has an edge broken and no front plate..
if any use to u its yours for a tenner?

Fil said:
I have a spare carling font, used, no leaks afaik, but the front sign has an edge broken and no front plate..
if any use to u its yours for a tenner?
hi Fil thanks very much for the offer it is kind of you but it would be a shame to basically waste one full font for the sake of one washer as I wouldn't have any use for it afterwards. You could get more than a tenner for it too if you stick it on ebay. One thing though has your carling tap got a note of the manufacturer on it by any chance? also swmbo would probably kill me if I walked in the house with any more brewing hardware. I only just got away with building the kegerator initially :D

piddledribble said:
you could always get some silicone rubber sheet and cut your own

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICONE-RUBB ... 4d048698c6

Hi Piddledribble, I must confess to not being the worlds greatest craftsman when it comes to things like this. I had a bash at something similar before and it turned out similar to a 50p coin. Also I am not sure if the indent and lip on my washer serve any additional purpose or if I can just get away with a perfectly flat one.

50p coin shaped is fine... get a sheet thats as thick as the thickest part of your washer the rubber will compress,

piddledribble said:
50p coin shaped is fine... get a sheet thats as thick as the thickest part of your washer the rubber will compress,
thanks I'll probably need to go down this path by the looks of it. I had thought it would need to be fairly perfect rather than my 50p effort but if I can get away with that I’ll give it a go.

just the inner " hole " part needs to be as circular as possible....Cut that first then trim the outside.
take it slow with a nice new blade in a stanley knife or a scalpel from the chemist.

Im with PD on this one, i have found that £land do silicone baking trays, you will need to cut away the lip/edge but will give you plenty of material to play around with before you commit to buying some silicone sheet, i used it to seal the kettle element on my boiler and has never leaked !!

piddledribble I spoke to swmbo last night about this as she is far more arty farty than me so she has been given a new project :D I suspect she will do a far better job of it than I would.

loady thanks for the suggestion I'll take a look in the local £ shop today and see what I can find.

Latest posts

Back