Help needed pressure barrel poor tap connection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliott 22

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys, just went to pour my first pint of cwtch after following the instructions to the letter from the pressure barrel (top tap king keg) and only got co2, poor connection at the back of the tap.

had to open up and change tubing,
On opening the lid, lots of pressure released( good sign).
Once all done added a couple of bulbs of co2 and beer coming out fine now although quite flat with lots of head.

I did have it in the fridge for the last 18hrs but had been in a warm place for 3 days and then followed by a cool place for 14days as per instructions?

wondering should I place back in a warm place for a few days, in a cool location or back in the fridge to aid co2 absorption?
Haven’t added any more sugar or anything as ruined a beer by doing that last year,
I’m still quite new to brewing and this is my 7th brew, any help greatly appreciated.

Not got king kegs but I've read somewhere that the float can sit incorrectly so it draws gas instead of beer ....
If you've got it working I'd recarb with co2,maybe until the vent blows a bit then you've purged it.

Do I need to purge or would the co2 push the oxygen off the beer and to the top of the head space. Also should I place in warm, cool or back in the fridge?
Many thanks

Two bulbs is a lot and it sounds quite carbed now ..as you are not relying on a secondary fermentation now to gas it you can put it in the fridge.

Any reason for being flat but lots of head
Sorry for all the questions,
Loads of pressure as vented via the orb valve then added another bulb and it was squealing of it own accord

managed to vent a little and get it to stop and get rid of the slight hiss I could hear... I think then bunged in the fridge

Thanks Clint, any reason that would happen and from what I understand the cold (fridge) would help absorb co2

Any reason for being flat but lots of head
CO2 is coming out of your beer during the pour. This could be because the pressure is too high or the tap is allowing it to flow too fast. Or both. You have no gauge to read pressure on a KK so that part is guesswork I'm afraid and regarding the pour you just have to go easy with the tap, I mean really easy, like 30 seconds to pour a pint. It also helps if your glass is chilled.

Thanks foxbat,

luckily I have a sparkler Tap on the keg so will need your advice and go slow and have a trial tonight

...and talking of bombproof, if your keg did have a lot of co2 pressure, the lid could have blown off and embedded into your ceiling; or head whichever it met first.

Latest posts

Back