Hello All... Maybe changing my name to beer killer :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T00fy

Reaction score
I tried my first go, a beer kit, before Christmas last year (Tom Caxton Real Ale), but it hadn't stopped bubbling before I was due to go away and I didn't think that I could just leave it so I added some more sugar and left it til I returned in the New Year. Shortly after I got back it seemed to have stopped fermenting so I racked it into a keg. After a few weeks I drew some beer but it was very cloudy and it stayed like that for weeks so I racked it into a bucket to see what would happen. Nothing really did until it started getting what looked to me like a white wrinkly mould on top. I poured it away and started again. This time I used a John Bull IPA. It took about 10-11 days for the bubbles to stop and I racked it into a keg, plus 3 into bottles so I could see if it cleared. After a week I put the bottles into the fridge. After a few more days I took the out as they looked a bit cloudy and they had sugar on the bottom (I put about 3/4 tsp in each bottle for priming). After 2 or 3 days they seemed a little clearer so I opened one. It wasn't very lively and whilst it smelt ok it wasn't something that I would want to drink, if anything it maybe tasted a little of the steriliser I used to swish round before I rinsed in clean water.
I washed all equipment, then put the sterilising powder into water and swished it round inside for 10 minutes (left the bottles immersed in the sink), then rinsed then all (I thought quite thoroughly). Do I need to be VERY thorough in rinsing this stuff out after? Is it killing my beer? Or am I just not meant to be a brewmaster? :(

don't worry , we all have/will do the many simple errors that can sometimes make a big (bad ) difference . At least now you have them out they way , now cleaning is mega important but rinsing is too , often warm /hot water is needed to rinse some products . Buying the more expensive kits will give you better results , the type that have 2 cans etc and no extra sugar needed . Also your first brew , when you kegged it and then re racked it you introduced oxygen to the beer and sent it off just like opening a bottle of coke then closing it , it'll be bad within a few days or so . better luck next time , you do fine don't give up :thumb:

It's always difficult to make simple mistakes when doing something for the first time so don't get disheartened.

Making beer is quite simple as if you take your time and make sure you complete each step. The The "OMG I really don't want to screw up my first brew" How To. is quite long but gives you everything you need and the How to make the most of your beer kit gives specific advice about kits - both well worth a read.

As well as background reading on a subject I personally like having somebody with experience helping me out as they can help you follow all the steps and explain why they are needed as well as knowing all the tips and tricks.

You have given me the fear now with all your killing of beer...

I recently started my first brew which is currently on day 3 and bubbling away nicely. However i stupidly rinsed off my equipment in cold water, so now im paranoid that it will taste rubbish.

I will make sure to wash the bottles properly come bottling time though. Hopefully it still turns out good :pray:

simonlpearce said:
However i stupidly rinsed off my equipment in cold water, so now im paranoid that it will taste rubbish.

If you used WVP to sterlise then cold water is what is required. Don't ask me why, you would expect it to be hot water to rinse but that's what it says on the tin and it's worked perfectly for me this far...

calumscott said:
simonlpearce said:
However i stupidly rinsed off my equipment in cold water, so now im paranoid that it will taste rubbish.

If you used WVP to sterlise then cold water is what is required. Don't ask me why, you would expect it to be hot water to rinse but that's what it says on the tin and it's worked perfectly for me this far...

Ok so i put the VWP into my FV and filled with hot water, then chucked everything else inside. I then rinsed off in cold water :hmm:

Fingers crossed it will be ok then...

simonlpearce said:
calumscott said:
simonlpearce said:

Ok so i put the VWP into my FV and filled with hot water, then chucked everything else inside. I then rinsed off in cold water :hmm:

Fingers crossed it will be ok then...

's what I always do. Except I rinse twice, very thoroughly.
But if you'd any traces of VWP left in the FV, I think the fermentation wouldn't have got going. You're fine.

Latest posts

Back