heating stuff fast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macsrevenge

Reaction score
Had a major brew day yesterday - got two AG in one session. Now have a nice strong IPA (my own recipe!) and a 70 shilling in the cupboard! Only thing is spent most of the time waiting for things to heat up/boil. Have a giant aluminium pot that sits over 4 gas burners on the hob (all of which were turned on full) and it took over an hour to heat 30 litres of wort from 50 degrees to boiling and never seemed to get a rolling boil. Am I just expecting too much or are there other options (eg internal elements/heat spreaders) that would help speed the process up?

Cheers.

You are expecting too much.

Despite the power of domestic stoves you get much more effective heating using electric elements, as all of the heat goes into the liquid rather than rising up the sides..

Its only when you get into the realm of the stupidly powerful gas burners (Mine has two 13KW burners . . . and if I run it at 2Bar they are 19KW Each) that you get really rapid heating . . . but an even bigger waste of heat around the sides, I estimate around 35-40% efficient .

Back