Heat source for a fermenting fridge?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was thinking of a simple 100W light bulb. Will this be OK to provide heat in a small under-counter fridge fitted with an STC1000?

I use 40w bulbs in each of my fridges. They work great and bring 23l up in temp very well.

With the stc 1000 do you just plug your heat source into in and set temperature or do you have to do a bit of wiring. I am thinking of getting one for tray heater as no controls on it just on or off and gets a bit hotter than I want

I use 40w bulbs in each of my fridges. They work great and bring 23l up in temp very well.

my stc-1000 should be delivered in the next day or so.... is your fermenting chamber outside in a shed or garage or inside the house?

mine is outside in shed; was planning on buying a tube heater but if a 40W bulb is enough to heat the fridge when the ambient temp outside the fridge will be near 0C in winter, then I'll go with the lightbulb approach.

No light emitted from those heaters so no skunking, fo me they sit at bottom where that deadspot is infornt of the compressor

Both fridges are in the brewshed and it got down to -2'c in there a while back with no problems at all.
And I've used them for fermenting and carbing with over 10 batches and no Skunking what so ever.

With the stc 1000 do you just plug your heat source into in and set temperature or do you have to do a bit of wiring. I am thinking of getting one for tray heater as no controls on it just on or off and gets a bit hotter than I want

They need a bit of wiring mate, the sockets need adding for the heating and cooling plugs. Plus some box to go in.

Or a cheaper option using sandwich type boxes

Back