head up my **** with what to buy / make?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks a good setup. Can i ask is there any particular advantage to cooling the wort quickly or is it just the time and risk of infection. Basically is it worth me making a chiller will it make the beer better or can i just leave it to chill by itself

some say yes.....some say no.... :D
John Palmer says...
At the end of the boil, it is important to cool the wort quickly. While it is still hot, (above 140°F) bacteria and wild yeasts are inhibited. But it is very susceptible to oxidation damage as it cools. There are also the previously mentioned sulfur compounds that evolve from the wort while it is hot. If the wort is cooled slowly, dimethyl sulfide will continue to be produced in the wort without being boiled off; causing off-flavors in the finished beer. The objective is to rapidly cool the wort to below 80°F before oxidation or contamination can occur.

Rapid cooling also forms the Cold Break. This is composed of another group of proteins that need to be thermally shocked into precipitating out of the wort. Slow cooling will not affect them. Cold break, or rather the lack of it, is the cause of Chill Haze. When a beer is chilled for drinking, these proteins partially precipitate forming a haze. As the beer warms up, the proteins re-dissolve. Only by rapid chilling from near-boiling to room temperature will the Cold Break proteins permanently precipitate and not cause Chill Haze. Chill haze is usually regarded as a cosmetic problem. You cannot taste it. However, chill haze indicates that there is an appreciable level of cold-break-type protein in the beer, which has been linked to long-term stability problems. Hazy beer tends to become stale sooner than non-hazy beer. The following are a few preferred methods for cooling the wort.

Other folks leave the wort o/night to chill in plastic cube containers

You can use the Buffalo boiler to BIAB. If you want to upgrade to a two or three vessel setup at a later date you already have your boiler :thumb:

gifford said:
Morning everyone Ive considered all options and decided ill look into buying a buffalo boiler. Ive read the how to first brew but does anyone know of one that i could revise that uses just the boiler and not three vessels. Hope that makes sense or am i making things difficult and should just look around for a thermo tub?

BIAB, mate. newly-annointed mod calumscott has a guide here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35233

Latest posts

Back