Have I over hopped ???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys
Heritage lager brewed to 20l and split into two batches.
One with a tub of strawberries which I'm not worried about,the other,well.....
Nelson sauvin leaf hops,Amarillo leaf hops,Cascade pellets,Styrian holdings pellets in total around 40-50g and I've since added 15g of Citra pellets on the advice of Mr Williams from the brewery (he says they use them even though they are not on the website description) I'm trying to copy Ceaser Augustus but fear I may have over done it,FV smell amazing but I'm bottling tomorrow and hope I've not ruined it,
Any advice,I know it's too late now though :whistle:

If from the way ive read your post, the total hops is between 55-65g of hops, id be inclined to think that you havent. Albeit there is a lot of variety in there and i am by far no expert on hops but i do like a hoppy beer so id be keen to see how it turns out. The reason being is that, the variation of hops will create something either special and really nice to savour or something of a mish-mash - i hope its the previous...

Edit: the reason for my thinking you havent overdone it is because alot of kits especially IPAs use 80g+ of hops.

If from the way ive read your post, the total hops is between 55-65g of hops, id be inclined to think that you havent. Albeit there is a lot of variety in there and i am by far no expert on hops but i do like a hoppy beer so id be keen to see how it turns out. The reason being is that, the variation of hops will create something either special and really nice to savour or something of a mish-mash - i hope its the previous...

Edit: the reason for my thinking you havent overdone it is because alot of kits especially IPAs use 80g+ of hops.

Thanks,only thing is,mine is only 10 litres !
Ceaser Augustus is nice and hoppy and I will do a side by side taste test and let you know in a few weeks.
Cheers

I think this should be ok. Were these hops added to the FV? In my experience (-not lots), it is possible to overhop during the boil, because that can add so much bitters that the beer is undrinkable. But dryhopping, you should be fine.

I think this should be ok. Were these hops added to the FV? In my experience (-not lots), it is possible to overhop during the boil, because that can add so much bitters that the beer is undrinkable. But dryhopping, you should be fine.

Dry hopped,I have only ever added hops to a boil once I think and it wasn't great,but to be fair it was the Coopers Aussie lager which may have been a mistake,in my limited experience dry hopping works best for me.

Just to add a point,pellets for me are 10 x better than leaf hops,so,so much more flavour and aroma even though I could only get the Nelson in leaf form (very expensive too!)
Could anyone recommend a kit to solely add these to,I'm not familiar with this hop but it seems popular.
A lager type or an Ale ?
Thanks

Back