Have I bottled too early my first kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pal

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed my first kit couple of weeks ago, this was a Brewferm English IPA kit. The fermentation kicked off fairly quick definitely helped by the warm weather and after a week or so it slowed down considerably, by Saturday it had a consistent gravity reading of 1.016ish (kit suggesting final gravity of 1.017). I then waited until Monday afternoon (exactly 10 days after started fermentation). The kit instructions suggested a fermentation of 7-10 days but I'm still afraid it hasn't completely finished fermenting, yesterday I had a business meeting and one of the guy's wife was home brewing cider and he was telling me his story about exploding bottles in his cellar...

I used prime solution again as suggested by the kit instructions and poured in an mixed carefully on my fermenter. Fingers crossed everything is okay but what will be the more safe way to proceed? Do I leave the bottles to prime for 2 weeks and then try to open one carefully or shall I check them earlier on?

thanks!

Hi,

I brewed my first kit couple of weeks ago, this was a Brewferm English IPA kit. The fermentation kicked off fairly quick definitely helped by the warm weather and after a week or so it slowed down considerably, by Saturday it had a consistent gravity reading of 1.016ish (kit suggesting final gravity of 1.017). I then waited until Monday afternoon (exactly 10 days after started fermentation). The kit instructions suggested a fermentation of 7-10 days but I'm still afraid it hasn't completely finished fermenting, yesterday I had a business meeting and one of the guy's wife was home brewing cider and he was telling me his story about exploding bottles in his cellar...

I used prime solution again as suggested by the kit instructions and poured in an mixed carefully on my fermenter. Fingers crossed everything is okay but what will be the more safe way to proceed? Do I leave the bottles to prime for 2 weeks and then try to open one carefully or shall I check them earlier on?

thanks!
It should be fine, But until you get a feel for these things, why not get hold of some half-litre PET bottles and use a couple at bottling time. You'll be able to see how carbonation is going by squeezing the bottle.

I think the bottles will be ok.

Just to be on the safe side, you may keep all your bottles in a plastic bag while they finish carbonating / maturing.
So that if one bottle explodes, it will be much easier to clean up everything

Latest posts

Back