Gluten Free NEIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisA

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello All,

My significant other (who is gluten intolerant), normally isn’t the greatest fan of beer but does enjoy trying a sip of my NEPIAs and Hazy DDHs when I order them. So she has tasked me with brewing her a Gluten-reduced/free NEPIA.

I’ve done some digging and have come across this recipe which has got some traction online:

https://glutenfreehomebrewing.com/recipes/showrecipe.php?recipeid=173

I’ve spent a significant amount of time trying to find somewhere which sells or distributes millet malt to France (that doesn’t cost the earth) but can’t find anywhere. Do any France dwellers have any tips?

Failing that I have read that White Labs Clarity Ferm reduces the Gluten content of the beer down to under the 20ppm threshold and so was considering going the normal barley malt route. However, I read somewhere (I’ve lost the link) that Clarity Ferm (which I guess makes sense) would also rid the beer of the classic NEIPA haze (and I presume some of the flavour too)

Does anyone have any experience of either of these approaches?

Clarity term will get rid of some kinds of haze. I don't know whether it gets rid of all of them.

I've not heard it strips any flavour from the beer.

What's more important to her in a NEIPA - the taste or the appearance of it? Personally I would go with clarity ferm and not worry if it ended up "too clear".

I have a friend who's coeliac, so I've considered trying to brew gluten free for her, but it's not worth the risk of getting it wrong and making her ill

Clarity term will get rid of some kinds of haze. I don't know whether it gets rid of all of them.

I've not heard it strips any flavour from the beer.

What's more important to her in a NEIPA - the taste or the appearance of it? Personally I would go with clarity ferm and not worry if it ended up "too clear".

I have a friend who's coeliac, so I've considered trying to brew gluten free for her, but it's not worth the risk of getting it wrong and making her illI'd say 100% taste.

This is good to know, taste 100% i would say.
Good to know too that ARoomWithAbrew hasn't had their haze affected.
It definetly seems like ClarityFerm is the way to go.

Watch the Murphy and son gluten free beers, via the get or brewed YouTube.
Vigorous boil and clarity ferm will do it. Not affected haze in my neipa

Think it only gets rid of a protein hazes. NEIPA’s haze is caused by the late hop oils transforming from memory.... Where is Randy when you need him 🤔😁

Ps. Malt millers clarity is a bit cheaper and more useable.

Apparently Brewers Clarity (and other similar brands) are an enzyme that chops up the gluten into shorter strands making it acceptable for gluten intolerance but not for coeliacs. It's very easy to use.
However coeliacs that I have talked to about GF beer say that they drink it ok.

Thanks both, I will also explore Brewers Clarity and alternatives. Although in France the options end up being quite limited.

Dumb question but the dosage calculator gives four options below. In this context am I to assume that when they mean wheat, they solely mean wheat, and not gluten from Barley malt for example

A: Dry hop beers or beers over 40 IBU

B: Beers using the enzyme for haze stabilization purposes

C: Enzyme used for gluten reduction purposes in a beer with <= 20% wheat

D: Enzyme used for gluten reduction purposes in a beer with > 20% wheat

Also not that I'm being cynical or anything, but it is strange that the dosage is always slightly over the amount you get in a vile for every normal homebrew application (20l+)... wink...

Latest posts

Back