Fruit in the primary ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oogaboogachief

Reaction score
I am doing a batch of pear with 30 lbs of pears and 10 lb of peaches. I wonder how long you can leave the fruit in the primary. I don't have a press so I cored and chopped them. They have been in for eight days and don't seem to be broken down very much at all. I got a good boiling ferment as I could hear it bubbling in the bucket. Thanks Mike

Did you add pectolase? It should have all broken down to a mush by now.

For future reference, stir 2-3 times a day and from time to time you can scrub up (paying particular attention to the finger nails) then get your arm in the bucket and squish the pulp through your fingers.

Too late for that now, for soft fruits I would say 5 days optimum and 7 days maximum, it's time to get it strained.

I stirred and put sanitized hospital gloves on and tried to squish daily. I also added pectin enzyme the fruit is still in good shape. I have heard of a lot of people doing a second run with the same fruit. So would it matter to let it go a few more days? Mike

Latest posts

Back