Frount room smells of wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ste P

Reaction score
Hi all
New to this wine making 😌
Just been given a 5 gallon bucket and a 7 day wine to try.
Started it on Saturday and on Monday it formed up and some came out the lid as not a good fit,as I found out.
So my question is can I put it in to DJ
With air lock on to try and stop the room from smelling like a brewery.

You'll still get aromas with an air lock. An airlock is there to provide a barrier from nasties getting in not smells getting out.
Was thinking it might lesson the smell as the lid is not a good fit

Until most of fermentation is completed the lid will keep popping,unless you leave it just cracked open but then you risk it getting infected. I'm just comparing with beer as I don't make wine. Also transferring it presents similar risks. Make sure you properly clean AND sanitise everything if you decide to put it in a different vessel.
Hopefully someone who makes wine can clarify.

Until most of fermentation is completed the lid will keep popping,unless you leave it just cracked open but then you risk it getting infected. I'm just comparing with beer as I don't make wine. Also transferring it presents similar risks. Make sure you properly clean AND sanitise everything if you decide to put it in a different vessel.
Hopefully someone who makes wine can clarify.
Ok thanks for the advice 👍 🙂

Does this mean you have a 5 gallon bucket and 5 demijohns?

Although it's a 7 day kit, the real time to ferment is temperature dependent & in the UK that generally means at least 2 weeks.

Will you be transferring direct to bottles, or demijohns?

When I make MYO wine kits, I transfer from the big 5 gallon fermenter to demijohns after 2 weeks as it lets you check how the wine is clearing & allows it to de-gas before bottling.
But remember the demijohns should be full - so not too much air in the top during storage & if you get left with 1/2 a demijohns worth at the end it might be better to put that in a couple of spare plastic bottles.

What you don't want to do is move it to demijohns while it is fermenting at full tilt. That just ends up with foam pushed out the airlock & a big mess.
For 5l (demijohn) size kits, you only use 2/3 of the water at the start and top it up a week or so later when the fizzing dies down a bit.

Hope that makes sense & I've not rambled on too much

Does this mean you have a 5 gallon bucket and 5 demijohns?

Although it's a 7 day kit, the real time to ferment is temperature dependent & in the UK that generally means at least 2 weeks.

Will you be transferring direct to bottles, or demijohns?

When I make MYO wine kits, I transfer from the big 5 gallon fermenter to demijohns after 2 weeks as it lets you check how the wine is clearing & allows it to de-gas before bottling.
But remember the demijohns should be full - so not too much air in the top during storage & if you get left with 1/2 a demijohns worth at the end it might be better to put that in a couple of spare plastic bottles.

What you don't want to do is move it to demijohns while it is fermenting at full tilt. That just ends up with foam pushed out the airlock & a big mess.
For 5l (demijohn) size kits, you only use 2/3 of the water at the start and top it up a week or so later when the fizzing dies down a bit.

Hope that makes sense & I've not rambled on too much
It's has fizzed out of the 5 gallon bin and it's just fermenting slowly now but the smell is not good so I will transfer it to a presher keg and fit a air lock to let it finish of. I can the clean the spillage up to get rid of the smell. Thanks for the help 🙂

Headspace ruins wine. After transfer top up with wine or water (not juice -it will restart fermentation) )so as to almost eliminate headspace.

It's has fizzed out of the 5 gallon bin
What is the maximum mark on the bucket mine is 25 litre but as we only fill to 23 litres there is an extra 100 mm between the 23 litre mark and the lip of the bucket this allows a vigorous fermentation to stays inside the bucket.

Headspace ruins wine. After transfer top up with wine or water (not juice -it will restart fermentation) )so as to almost eliminate headspace.

Over a long period it is said too much head space can spoil wine i have left finished and cleared wine on the dead yeast in the FV for a couple of weeks which is frowned on by some and have never had a problem, when i bottle i fill to the beginning of the neck or slightly higher as in the picture below i have never had a wine go bad -

1717517765171.png

I
What is the maximum mark on the bucket mine is 25 litre but as we only fill to 23 litres there is an extra 100 mm between the 23 litre mark and the lip of the bucket this allows a vigorous fermentation to stays inside the bucket.
I have over filled it as new to wine making. Will not make that mistake sgian

Hi all thanks for the helpand advice 😊
I have transferred it to a youngs pressure barrel fitted a air lock and its now babbling away. Left 10 cm gap so it will not overflow again fingers crossed 😀

Back