from pressure keg to cornie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenwest1

Landlord.
Reaction score
idiots guide needed please
i have just spoke to my local shop about getting a couple of cornies then he went in to that i need glass demijon to cear the beer in at £30 and this and that
is all this true
many thanks

Hi Darren

I moved from pressure barrels to cornies....I have had or no need for anything extra ( except for your CO2 for dispensing and carbonating the brew ).

Just leave your brew in your FV for approx 14 days then move to the cornie,Leave it a week or two to condition then force carbonate with your CO2.If any sediment transfered from FV to cornie the first half pint or pint should draw out the sediment as your cornie dispense tube should go to the bottom of the cornie

Good Luck...And Cornies are the Best :thumb: :cheers:

I fine my beer in the cornie.

There's difference approaches, some don't mind a bit of sediment thus a few cloudy pints to start, some cut the dip tube down half an inch to avoid this. Some people clear their beer before putting it in the cornie.

Just experiment and find what's better for you.

You certainly don't need a thirty quid demijohn.

thanks so if i get this right i can clear the beer in the pressure keg or in the cornie
how do i transfer the beer to the cornie it is carbonated in the pressure barrel do i allow the beer to go flat then transfre then gas it up again
sorry for the questions
thanks

jamesb said:
I fine my beer in the cornie.

There's difference approaches, some don't mind a bit of sediment thus a few cloudy pints to start, some cut the dip tube down half an inch to avoid this.

I fine mine in the cornie too, I also modified my dip tubes.
OnTube.jpg

Jointed.jpg

Anyone will tell you Norman is the Cornie King...Look in The links at the top of the page

Note also, most people simply go straight from FV to cornie with no diptube modifications or finings! However, finings (gelatine) can be added to the cornie if you prefer. The first few pints may be cloudy but drinkable and it all gets clear from there onwards. :)

I 2nd norm for the cornie i just got one from him A1 condition with pipe and disconnects £50 delivered cheapest i could find for a good condition cornie ready to go
Dan

I've bought 6 from Norm in 2008/09, all good quality with just a few "dinks" in them.
Problem now is the price, he's still the best value but the price has shot up...supply and demand I suppose!

But still good value at £50 considering "King Kegs" are around that price for nylon!
I'd source a co2 bottle and reg now and pipe it up with 3/16 beer and air line instead of 3/8..... :thumb:
Tube2.jpg

17052009338.jpg

BB

I usually rack mine off into a secondary after 10-14 days in the FV onto gelatine (a packet of 6 from Sainsbury's about 60p?). Then the following day into the cornies. Crystal clear beer from the off :thumb:

arthurbear said:
Hi Darren

I moved from pressure barrels to cornies....I have had or no need for anything extra ( except for your CO2 for dispensing and carbonating the brew ).

Just leave your brew in your FV for approx 14 days then move to the cornie,Leave it a week or two to condition then force carbonate with your CO2.If any sediment transfered from FV to cornie the first half pint or pint should draw out the sediment as your cornie dispense tube should go to the bottom of the cornie

Good Luck...And Cornies are the Best :thumb: :cheers:
Don't forget that you will need to use your CO2 to seal your corny after filling it. Conditioning will not do it on it's own ;)

yeah i do hopfully have the co2 sorted soon sounds like the way forward
i have the beer cooler and taps just need the cornies and the pipe work

Latest posts

Back