Fridge conversion advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmfd

Reaction score
Right then, bought a fridge via eBay - six quid for a nice Miele larder fridge - picked it up yesterday and have run it a bit today.

The only "problem" with it is the thermostat it never thinks it is cold enough, so basically it acts like a freezer. Am planning to wire up the ATC-800+ I have, which should mean this is irrelevant and hence the question.

Any thoughts on generally recommended (and safe!) places to drill holes to feed in the power for the heater and also the probe? (Presume I need to drill my way in?)

Was thinking of going in at the side - bottom and top respectively.

Thoughts?

David

I just got my miele wired up 99p from ebay, thermostat broken. Only sorting out the running so far, have TC10 in the fridge at the moment I removed the thermostat and there was a lovely three pin connector blue, brown and black (return for refridgeration).

I was thinking of cutting a whole in the side for the TC10 to be read from the outside.

You can cut through the back at the bottom just check the refridgeration coils are not in the was then run all your cables through the whole

prolix said:
I just got my miele wired up 99p from ebay, thermostat broken. Only sorting out the running so far, have TC10 in the fridge at the moment I removed the thermostat and there was a lovely three pin connector blue, brown and black (return for refridgeration).

I was thinking of cutting a whole in the side for the TC10 to be read from the outside.

You can cut through the back at the bottom just check the refridgeration coils are not in the was then run all your cables through the whole

99p - that's a real bargain. :thumb:

Good idea on the hole, presumably this means then I only have to chop through the plastic inner rather than butchering the metal outside.

The thermostat controller on mine seems to be quite complex and thinks it knows what the temperature is, you set the temperature in C. It also looks quite difficult to access as it is at outside the fridge at the top on the front fascia - presume there is a sensor from this somewhere. :wha:

So I was quell my desire to tinker and leave alone - great if you can do what you've done though and wire it in. I was just going to run a probe in from the ATC, plug the fridge into this and let its apparent desire to freeze do the rest.

How are you heating? I've an old brew belt around here somewhere I was planning on using, at least in the short term.

David

Yeah my thermostat control centre is inside on the wall.

I have a 60w bulb in there at the moment just using a ceiling rose sitting on the floor working well has stayed at 10.5ish for the last 12 hours will get one of these eventually.

tube heater

As I do 40+L brews it will be a beer fridge just need to bring myself to drill holes in the door. Also I am going to get another co2 source for it a 2kg bottle and maybe one of Norms regulators with 2 outlets

Latest posts

Back