Force carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvo

Reaction score
Ok so i got my co2 system set up for my lager and i have put 20psi in the corny.Its been sitting in the shed now for a couple of weeks so decided to try some and it was'nt to bad but needs more carbonation so i stuck another 20psi on it and gonna leave it a couple more weeks.

Now i just bought my mixed gas 70/30 bottle and regulator for my stout and ordered 2 more cornies from norm. but i know from reading up a little that to force carbonate using mixed gas you need to use higher pressure for it to absorb into the beer.
My question is how high?
I plan on keeping it down the shed (around 16c) for about four weeks unless i manage to get another fridge first and then it will go in there (around 5c) :whistle:

70/30 needs 2.5 times the pressure that CO2 alone does so 20psi on CO2 is about 50 psi on 70/30 . . . for the same temperature . . . and to deliver the same carbonation at that pressure

Does anyone know of a calculator where you can work out the time and pressure needed to produce a particular carbonation level at a particular temperature??

Or can anyone explain the formulaes that are used or suggest a book I can read on carbonation??

Just remember that you will need to increase the line length to dispense in order to prevent excessive fobbing

Forcing carbonated beer through a restricted opening will induce fobbing . .. you need the right length of the right diameter line to drop the pressure at the tap . . . you can use a flow control tab to tweak the balance, not provide it.

Ah got you so if i start with lets say 10ft of 3/16 hose and cut some off bit at a time untill i get my perfect pour :drink: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back