Foaming through the airlock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason42

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m new to home brewing and I’ve just got a Festival Suffolk ale kit started yesterday. When I checked it today I’ve have foam coming through the airlock. Is it normal for it to be so lively and should I be worried about it?

Sounds like everything is going nicely! It's totally normal,you may need to replenish the liquid in the airlock when it calms down a bit.

Just make sure the airlock itself doesn't get blocked with yeast or the whole thing might eventually go pop and you have a mess on your hands. Some people use 'blow off tubes' (look it up) where the tube is usually larger than the airlock outlet, but I have had these block up too. The easiest and simplest option for me to deal with explosive fermentations has been to crack the lid in one place on the FV which allows the FV to vent any excess krausen, and put a clean tea towel or similar over that section and place the whole thing on a tray to collect any mess. Then when things subside, clean up, seal up the FV and put the airlock back into use.

The only logical way to stop this happening (for next time) is to get a bigger fermenter.

It's a very common problem that many have battled for years. Some have a little mess, others an explosion...

@terrym is right, blow off tubes can help - but they don't fix the issue IMO. Personally I use a 30L FV for 23L batches and have never had a problem.

@terrym is right, blow off tubes can help - but they don't fix the issue IMO. Personally I use a 30L FV for 23L batches and have never had a problem.
I think in future the bigger FV is a good idea. My brew has settled down a bit now and I’ve cleaned and topped up the airlock. Lots of lovely bubbling but no mess
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Terry is spot on . I have done a few wheat beers & have always had vigorous fermentation so a ‘blow off tube’ has been the best option , never had issues with this method. I have limited head space in my fermentation chamber so I always use ‘blow off tubes’.

Do you bother with an airlock @Ghillie , or just crack the lid open a bit and let it get in with it?
I always use an airlock for my beers. I'm open to the idea of the "heavier than air" blanket of CO2 keeping O2 at bay as well though.

For all the time it takes to bung an airlock on the lid and fill it keeps my mind at rest. For more things getting in than just O2, potentially.

So, an update on my first effort...
5 days in and I’ve added the hop pellets. The krausen has virtually disappeared and the bubbling through the airlock has slowed right down almost to a stop. Hopefully this is normal. Sure smells good. Any thoughts?

Back