flame out hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see, its deceptively tasty! The problem is I think my mash tun is only 27 litres, the mash itself calls for 21 litres of water and 8.1 Kgs of pale malt, gulp. But yes, it does look really superb.

You could get around this by mashing less grain and using DME to boost the OG to the correct level

Generally speaking the Americans use a lot more hops than we do, and their influence has now invaded our brewing scene. The Greg Hughes book shows that. A lot of the hops are added very late in the boil usually, to provide intense hop flavour and aroma. British beers have traditionally been mostly malt focused, in combination with nice yeast strains.

We produce great malt, and possess many great yeast strains. Our beers reflect that. Our hops are much more limited in terms of variety and intensity of flavours. Belgian ales do similar, but with their characteristic yeast strains. America is the reverse. They envy our malts and nick our yeast strains. But they use our hops much less enthusiastically. Although that is changing a bit I hear.

I'm sure you will have drunk beers that have the American style hopping. Punk IPA for example. If you don't like very hopped up beers, you need to find recipes that are more traditionally English or European I guess. Like the Graham Wheeler recipes for UK commercial beers. But the Americans do have their own styles that are much more balanced, like their cream ales and blonde ales. And I believe they are increasingly buying up English hops to make more easy drinking ales like ours, which they generally refer to as session ales. Some of the English hops get mixed up with American hops in American IPAs though.

How incredibly interesting. I do like citrus flavours in a beer although I am unsure if I like a really pungent hop aroma.

You could get around this by mashing less grain and using DME to boost the OG to the correct level

I gotta make it man, just to see what its like, maybe scale it down using brewers friend, it has a scaling tool. Interesting thing about the Hughes book is the conditioning temperatures, 12 Celsius for 12 weeks, need a fridge and an iron will power for that.

Latest posts

Back