First time brew !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianmole72

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning,

Gonna do my first brew this morning(or when my brother turns up!), so I'm looking forward to this..

It's a Woodfordes Admirals Reserve kit (got to start somewhere :D )

I'm hoping to ferment it in the garage, but got a feeling it will be too cold (maybe wrap in it blankets,etc - will that keep it at 22 degrees??) - so it will have to go in the spare room if not. SWMBO will pull a face, but hey-ho.. :grin:

Will take some pics if anyone is interested; gonna combine the instructions recieved in the kit with tubby_shaw's excellent guide..

Stephen

Well done ...go for it, as you say got to start some where. :clap:
The garage maybe ok at the mo because it ain't that cold...and you can throw a sleeping bag around it.... and yes we do need photo's.

Yeah good choice.

All my fermentation is done in my temperature controlled fermentation room.
Which is basically my spare room. The temperature control is the varying degree of open/closed windows ;)

Right, here we go...some photos and whatnot..

First off, here's my stuff (Co2 injector/keg top in garage!)

SL381044.jpg

Right, gonna sanitise my stuff now...

SL381046.jpg

One crushed Campden tablet in with my water....

SL381048.jpg

SL381049.jpg

Then I took some of the dechlorinated water for boiling (forgot picture !!) :whistle:

2 cans of the "Special Stuff" dissolving in the boiling water

SL381050.jpg

Rest of the water added (from a height)

SL381051.jpg

Stirred well

SL381052.jpg

Hop powder and yeast pitched (23 degrees)

SL381053.jpg

Tested gravity; 1.040 (Forgot pic - again :whistle: )

In the corner - gonna cover it, and let it do its thing now...

SL381054.jpg

Now for the clean-up !!

Nice one Chap :thumb:

You'll soon be drinking it and thinking you need to brew another!

Thanks for the comments, everyone - will post fermentation pics..

muddydisco - I thinks i'm gonna get a design-a-brew stout kit from matchless next- hope your brewday went well, by the way..

phettebs/diesel jockey - was gonna put a pic in with me next to it, giving the :thumb: ,but it looked to cheesey!

dieseljockey - the call to the darkside is there already, just got to sort the gear out ..

Cheers, all...

Stephen

well done on the brew - the woodfordes kits are a pretty good place to start - before the journey to the dark side.........

:whistle:

That fermentation looks good. You will never look back now :D :thumb:

plastic sheet under the towel might save the wrath of SHMBO; I always spill at some stage so I always work over vinyl

Looking forward to updates. :clap:

Back